One night after having dinner....I was in the kitchen merrily cleaning up the mess. Okay, so that may be an exaggeration. I was cleaning up the mess. Anyway, there was some left over...cooked spaghetti from our meal....and just as I had done a million times before (just please do not tell him that) I threw the spaghetti in the sink....and swished it down the garbage disposal. Apparently Ryan never knew that I did this....for years....like 12 years of married life. And I never heard all of this rubbish about putting pasta and rice in your disposal being bad?? Wtheck? I mean if it were that big of a deal....surely to goodness I would have heard about it...right? Sigh. Anyway....the next day....the sink kinda clogged. And my dear sweet husband was home....and he was able to stick his hand in the nastiness and found....of all things.....spaghetti noodles clogging the way. So of course....I got this big long
Two weeks later..... (we can only hope I am a faster learner these days).....Ryan is working late....and I feed my hungry little mob their favorite pasta....and am left with a smallish bowl of leftover cooked noodles. In my mind....I vividly recall thinking about that very wise lecture my husband gave me....and then just like that....I dumped the bowl of noodles down the disposal. Yes. I. Did. Why? I wish I knew. Part of me thought that I knew better than he did (yes really).....and part of me is just dumb enough to want to see what would happen....would they clog the disposal....or not. Yeah buddy....stupid. So I turn on the water and swish the little noodles into oblivion....or so I think. I feel victorious.....I was RIGHT! No clogs....take that Mr. Smartypants....pffft! And then about five minutes later....to my horror....water starts being held on that side of the sink. Nothing will go down.....and my beloved walks in the door.
So yes, I am panicking by this point....not sure how I am going to explain this mess. So I did the most logical thing......I lied my butt off. Yes. I. Did. Ryan looked at me point blank and asked if I had put pasta down the disposal. You all should know....I suck at lying. I may have had a chance over the phone, but if he is looking at me....I am toast. Knowing that....I still chose to lie. I told him I had noooo idea what the issue could be. And continued to tell that story. At some point I do talk to both Betsy and Wilma that night....completely in panic at what I had done.....how stupid I had been....all that good stuff. I mean honestly, if you are going to go down....choose something a little more exciting than pasta down a drain. Live and learn I suppose. I am not sure what Betsy and Wilma said that fateful night...as I said it has been about a year ago....we were at the beginning parts of our friendship...and why that little stunt of mine didn't give them a clue....I will never know....but I am glad they have stuck around for my more exciting antics ;)
To the best of my recollection the night ended with a silent car trip to Wal-Mart....with Ryan glancing over at me every now and then...with what we all know as "the look". He knew I was lying....and he was like a lion on the prowl.....juuuust waiting to sense that moment of weakness. I have no idea why I thought I was going to get away with it. But....I just kept insisting I had NO idea what was clogging our little disposal. A few dollars later....handy dandy tool in hand....he heads in the house and under the sink. So you have to picture this....he is literally under the sink....legs hanging out....and I am standing nervously at his feet...praying to whatever saint is in charge of plumbing....or wayward wives....or spanking husbands....whoever I thought could help me. He takes that fabulous little tool he bought....cranks it a few times to get the disposal loose......and spaghetti bits come flopping out inches from his very angry looking face. Yes. They. Did. Go ahead and gasp....get it out....I did.
Later that night....after our children were fast asleep....one very sorry Lucy was ushered into the closet to have a meeting with a wooden spoon (this was back in the GOOD old days....before our paddle "Fluffy" came to live in the closet). Since that day....I can honestly say I have NOT put any cooked pasta, rice, chicken skin, vegetable peelings, celery, limes, lemons, apple cores....or any other foreign object down the disposal. I am nothing if not a good listener! Right Ryan?! Right??
WELL lucky for YOU I do remember that conversation that fateful night. I even remember where I was sitting as you typed away WATCHING Ryan...you GOOF....prior to his arrival home I do recall telling you to FESS up. What? you can't deny I said that you don't even remember! Ahhhhhhhhhh good times...I remember it as if it were yesterday. AND FYI I had known you for about 6 months at this time you ...well never mind I already called you a goof in this comment.
ReplyDeleteLove willie
I feel like the only response you will accept to this is, "You are right Wilma." LOL
Deletesarcasm will get you no where....sigh...some days I really do feel for Ryan
DeleteGeez.....I agree with you and still get attitude. *Most* days I really feel for Barney :)
Deleteand I am with Brice...if you don't put ANY of those things listed in your garbage disposal, what on earth DO you use it for???/
ReplyDeleteYou are with Brice?!? There are so many things wrong with that statement.......
DeleteLOL! I'm sort of glad I don't have a garbage disposal :)
ReplyDeleteYes, there are so many things that can get one in trouble! LOL
DeleteI have a faint memory of this starchy fiasco. LOL. We really do pick the silliest things to hold our ground on don't we.
ReplyDeleteMaybe this will give you a kick in the pants as far as wanting to write a bit again. I know...I'm no better. I have something rumbling around in my head. Maybe I'll write it down this week as well.
I just wanted to be right...darn it! LOL! Oh well.
DeleteYes, you really do need to write again....I can say that now that I have one out that is less than 6 months old ;) Hee hee.
I had something similar happen...with egg shells...no trip to the closet, but lots of looks and a lecture sent my way.
ReplyDeleteLive and Learn:)
Bea
I have never tried egg shells...hmmm. Think I will just take your word for it ;)
DeleteYes, Live and Learn :)
Aww thanks for the giggles! That was cute to read even though I am sure it didn't feel cute to your bottom that night! We don't have a garbage disposal so I feed what I can to our dog, who likes to throw it up on the rug. Nice huh :)
ReplyDeleteOur dog....geez...why didn't I think of that?! I would not want to deal with doggie throw up on the floor however....ick! LOL
DeleteI just learned something new about the garbage disposal. G is a rabid composter so I'd be in extra trouble. Last year I dumped the contents of a coconut cream pie down the disposal two weeks in a row. The first time G snaked it, the second time we had to call professional help. It wasn't even a good pie. Fluffy is a good name for a paddle.
ReplyDeleteGarbage disposals can be so darn temperamental! See? I would have never guessed a pie would clog it up. And I love, that like me, you had to try a second time....hee hee!
DeleteOh Fluffy. I have a post somewhere about how Fluffy came to be. Irishey actually encourage me to go with that name....it kinda makes the ugly piece of wood a little more endearing. Ryan is working on a new one.....name Poppy ;)
Good gravy Lucy! After one warning ya had to try it again and then LIE about it? ROFLMBO! Hope you have learned your lesson now. ;) Oh and did you know that you can warm pasta noodles up super quick by bringing water to a boil and then dipping the pasta in for 30 seconds? No need to throw it away!
ReplyDeleteHugs and Blessings...
Cat
I wanted to be right, Cat! LOL! It was dumb to lie about....but who knew spaghetti was going to come flopping out at his face?! Only in my life, I swear. I have learned. Now I make a big spectacle of myself when I go dump it in the trash ;)
DeleteI will have to remember that trick...thanks :)
LoL Lucy, thanks for the giggle! It really is amazing what we will 'choose' to go down over isn't it? Yep, if you're going to go down, choose something a little more exciting than pasta LoL
ReplyDeleteI'm thinking now I should be thankful we don't have a garbage disposal!
So good to hear from you and I hope you will write more soon:)
Hugs,
Roz
Oh yes, I pick some crazy stuff to get in trouble over. You would probably be just fine with a garbage disposal.....I am just not a great listener....and a tad on the stubborn side. I know you are shocked to hear this ;)
DeleteIt is good to be"back"...LOL I need to make my way over to your place!
I think its a funny story, even if Ryan didn't, but there again I totally understand why you pushed spaghetti down there again. I get it, I can't explain it, but I would do it too. Good job I don't have a garbage disposal unit, but I have to ask why you have one, what are you allowed to use it for?
ReplyDeleteOh lord....some one understands. I don't know whether to be happy for me....or sorry for your man ;) LOL
DeleteI used it for cleaning out the refrigerator mainly. So any soft leftover food that I need to get rid of....just NOT pasta....or anything hard. I would not put steak down it.....or raw vegetables....but that is just because I am now afraid of clogging it again. Think leftover cooked veggies....things of that sort.
Hold in a minute I get this. Try it the second time to prove him wrong lol yeah I just loved this. Lucy you are funny :) good to hear from you honey x
ReplyDeleteI really....reaaaaaaally wanted to be right....what can I say ?!
DeleteGood to be heard from...LOL! No , it is good to write again...thanks :)
Hahaha - this is the BEST story. I had such a laugh - sounds like something I'd do. And wait a minute, I had NO idea that pasta and rice was bad for the garbage disposal. I mean, really? It's all mushy and soft. I don't get it! I guess I might have to look this up because I may be where you were at with it. I'm all "Whaaat? That can't be true!" Hmmmm...
ReplyDeleteWell, ahem....apparently you can never break down pasta into small enough pieces...then the starchy little pieces stick together....and then swell...and eventually you have a clog. Don't I sound like an expert? Or perhaps a girl who has put sticky pasta down the drain a few times....LOL!
ReplyDeleteGlad you had a good laugh....I can laugh about it....now ;)
OKAY, I got to ask, if you can't put ALL OF THAT stuff down the garbage disposal... exactly what does go down it? lol We don't have one, but I thought you could basically put anything down those things... guess not. lol
ReplyDeleteWell, it was a very cute story, and I had a good laugh at some places, sorry. ;) Glad you are okay looking back on it now, a year later. :)
{{{hugs}}} EsMay