Almost a year ago, I wrote a blog about all of the good things I expected to happen in 2013. I remember believing with all of my heart...that the coming year was bursting with goodness....and Ryan and I were right on the verge of some amazing things. Part of that came true....part not so much. This year held so much promise for me....but I have been reminded time and time again....I am not....nor have I ever been in control of this crazy thing I call my life.
The year started with Ryan's mom being diagnosed with a disease that we knew eventually would claim her life. If I were to list the top ten ways I *thought* one of his parents might go...this disease would not have made the list. To say we were bowled over....would be an understatement. Almost exactly one month after her diagnosis....I gave birth to our fourth child....our first girl....and only her second granddaughter. In the midst of all of this...Ryan was doing his best to finish his degree....and I began a many months battle with postpartum depression. By the end of March....I was sure our very life was in shambles...and the darkness set in.
Life sometimes hands you some crazy twists and turns. I guess this year for us...was just one of those times. We learned a lot about who we were...and what was important to us. Eventually, with a little nudging from a lot of wonderful people I found my way to the doctor...and dug my way out the dark. I was fixable. My mother in law was not. All the while mothering this new life....and the three we were already blessed with....I watched my husband lose the woman who gave him life. I saw a lot of sides of him that I never knew were there. I watched him sit at her bedside and stroke her bald head....and plead with her to fight. At the end, I watched him hold her hand....and openly cry...for the life lost. The tears that fall so freely...when your mother....the one responsible for the breath in your body is taken. And so....we grieved.
We learned a lot he and I. We learned that the life we have together is so precious. Eventually...we know....one day one of us will be six feet under in a casket....and the other will stand alone. That is just fact. And while it would be so easy...to build those walls....and protect your heart....we can so clearly see now all that we would miss. 48 years. His parents loved each other for that long. At the end...his dad stood alone...and wept for this woman who gave him so much. As her body was carried out...he followed along behind....with all eight grandchildren holding hands....just the way she would have wanted it. Yes, she was gone...but it was so clear how much love was left.
So yes, I look back at this year....and I can see...it is very apparent how much pain 2013 held. But....framed in just the right way...it is so clear how much love this year was bursting with. I held my first daughter in my arms....and my heart nearly exploded with the love of holding her for the first time. I watched my husband lovingly care for his mom....in her final months of life. I taught my boys what Heaven really was....and I burst with pride when upon seeing their Mamaw lying in her casket...my youngest declared, "Mommy, I am just sure she has glittery wings now." I witnessed my husband hug his dad....and openly cry for the first time...the two of them together....my boys saw this too....and I am certain that this will remain with them forever....and the lesson that taught them was invaluable. For the first time I looked at my father in law and told him how much I loved him. Yes....love was certainly left.
For Ryan and I....we weathered one of the most trying battles of our married life. School, babies, death and depression....it was quite a ride. If I look over my shoulder....the dark clouds are still there. We are about to celebrate our first holiday without his mom....and Christmas is just around the corner. I told him the other day....I will miss her tacky Christmas sweaters...and funky wooden jewelry! ;) But I believe....as I always have...that heaven is not as far away as we all think that it is....I know that she is here.....and I believe she sees us. I know she would be proud of her son...the man that he is. Ryan and I will be okay. At the risk of sounding more hokey than I already do...I also believe that we found this way of life at the exact moment we needed it.
Life....well, it isn't always beautiful. You can't always tie it up with a pretty red ribbon and make things just go away. I won't pretend to know the whys or hows. But what I do know....Ryan and I have learned in the last couple of years how important it is to just love each other. It really is that simple. God willing one of us....many years from now....will stand with our children and grandchildren....and will mourn the loss of the other. Yes there will be sadness....but there will also be proof that when all else is gone....and you have nothing else to give.....the love will always be there. That is my prayer.
Love is the one constant in life and you know that well, Lucy.
ReplyDeleteMeredith
You are absolutely right, Meredith....love is the ONLY constant :)
DeleteLove is the constant. So sorry for the year that was both the zenith with the birth of your daughter and depths with the death of your mother in law. Life is indeed a journey and it is best spent with loved ones on this side and knowing their waiting to greet us on the other when the time comes.
ReplyDeleteHi Sunny :)
DeleteI have so much to be thankful for this year....my daughter was indeed the height of the year. I am honored for having known my mother in law...and I guess part of loving someone...is knowing some day you will have to say good bye. It is good to "see" you again! I need to make my way around blogland and visit!
Beautiful beautiful post. You certainly have been through a lot this past year. Lovely tribute to your family.
ReplyDeletemany hugs
sara
Thank you Sara :)
DeleteHugs to you too!!!
What a beautiful post Lucy! It has indeed been one heck of a year. You and Ryan have learned and grown so much! Just think of the awesome example you are setting for your children.
ReplyDeleteI don't know if you remember or if it would help but my dad wrote a poem before he died and I shared it on my blog on the 20th anniversary of his death. If you think it would help any of your family, you are more than welcome to print and/or copy it for them. Here is where it is located: http://gigglesgrinsandreflections.blogspot.com/2012/09/hole-in-my-heart.html. PS...today is his birthday...he would have been 85.
Sending lots of prayers and healing energy for your family to get through the coming holidays.
Hugs and Blessings...
Cat
Hi Cat :)
DeleteIt has been a crazy year! It was the best of times and the worst...as the saying goes. I hope to God our kids are learning something from the mess we have been through this year....they are certainly perceptive little critters ;)
Thanks for the reminder about the poem...how perfect. And happy belated birthday to your dad up in heaven :)
Hugs right back at you!!!!
Oh this made me cry Lucy. So full of emotion :)
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry this year has been so hard, the loss of a parent is never easy and also I'm so glad you went and saw a doc and feeling better.
It's so true what you say, at the end is love that remains, and that's what makes this world go round.
I'm sure this new year will bring lots of love and new adventures in to your life x
Hi Missy :)
DeleteNo crying allowed!!! Not on my blog ;) LOL!
It has been one heck of a year...but I guess if you ever want rainbows...you gotta weather the rain first. I am feeling a ton better, I should have listened to you all a lot sooner. Ah well, live and learn I suppose
I am ready for a new year full of love....and I am sure since this is me we are talking about...there will be plenty of interesting adventures up ahead ;)
Wow!!! This was so beautifully written.
ReplyDeleteThe loss of a loved one is never easy,. And even when you know they aren't suffering any longer, it's still difficult. The fact that you can look back and see what truly matters, the love, is so important. Love is what we can take with us when we go. It is what sustains us during the difficult times. It is what enhances the good times.
I hope and pray 2014 will be much smoother sailing for you. Thank you for sharing such a personal post with us. It truly is beautiful!
Oh Sarah, thank you so much for your kind words. The day I wrote this I was an emotional mess. I had just returned from Ryan's home town...and memories of the year were weighing on me. I wasn't sure I would ever blog again...this one kind of just wrote itself!
DeleteI have learned how important giving and receiving love is these past few years. I will forever be grateful I stumbled onto this crazy thing we call ttwd...our lives will never be the same again.
2014...the year of smooth sailing?? Sounds PERFECT ;)
Definitely no dry eyes here by the end of this Lucy. Being free with our hearts and our emotions...I think that takes a lot more strength than being tough or guarded. What a beautiful and powerful lesson for your boys to witness. ((HUGS))
ReplyDeleteHi Tess :)
DeleteI was so proud...not sure that is the word...of the man Ryan was the day we buried his mom. The love he had for her was apparent...and raw....and I think it showed our boys that it is okay to just let that go. I never want them to think that they have to keep that kind of thing bottled up.
Hugs to you too my friend!
Hi Lucy. There isn't much I can add to what everyone has said. This post is so poignant....so bittersweet....so full of love. I pray 2014 will be a smoother year for you and your family, and for us all.
ReplyDelete((Hugs))
I pray that too! May 2014 be the year of smooth sailing for all of us!!
DeleteHugs back at you!!!
Shakespeare wrote "From age to age we ripe and ripe, and then from age to age we rot and rot - and thereby hangs a tale."
ReplyDeleteHe was a very perceptive man.
The most important thing is that we make the "tale" of our lives beautiful and worthy of memory; that we impart love to those around us; that we "give".
It sounds to me that Ryan's mum had a very worthwhile life and your wonderful memories of her are testament to that. To have such a loving family around you - what more could you wish?
It's hard for those of us left behind to mourn; but perhaps we shouldn't mourn, perhaps we should celebrate how much we loved and were loved?
Sending you both uplifting prayers, positive thoughts and many blessings, Lucy. What a wonderful tribute to your mother-in-law.
Ami
Ami....you are so right. I was not aware how many lives she touched...until she was gone. There were lines and lines of people at the viewing....it was amazing. In the end....all her grand kids were there to follow her out...it was so fitting...they truly were the loves of her life.
DeleteI appreciate the prayers today...and all along this journey. I am blessed by all of you.
Hugs!!!!!
Oh Lucy, what a beautiful post. You are right, in the midst of so much grief there can be so much love. We learned this when we lost our son. So much love from so many people around us. I hope 2014 will bring you many blessings as it comes our way, and that Thanksgiving and Christmas are not too hard for Ryan and his family.
ReplyDelete{{{hugs}}} EsMay
Loss tends to do that to us doesn't it? Show us how much love is around us. I pray that 2014 blesses everyone. I was blessed in so many ways this year....we are going to be just fine :)
DeleteHugs to you too Es May :)
This is such a beautiful and poignant post Lucy. This brought tears to my eyes.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry you have been through so much this year. Loosing a parent is never easy. How wonderful that you are able to look back and see the love of family and of each other. What a wonderful lesson for your boys.
This post is such a wonderful tribute to Ryan's Mom. You're right, life isn't always beautiful, but the one constant is love.
I pray that 2014 brings many blessings and happiness to you and your family and sending prayers also for the upcoming Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays.
((Hugs))
Roz
Hugs friend. You have found all the blessings in the hard stuff and if you and Ryan can do that together, you can weather anything. I wish for you a very peaceful and love filled but NOT stress filled next year so you can all regroup and enjoy each other more.
ReplyDeleteVery sweet Lucy - and very true. I'm glad that you were able to see the beauty in all the sorrow. I'm sure that you and your family will be able to help each other through these first holidays without Ryan's mom - and you'll be able to honor her memory as well.
ReplyDeleteMy daughter was just 2 when my husbands amazing mother passed away - she was the youngest grandchild and the first girl as well - but we talk about her all the time, and tell her stories and show her videos and pictures - so she feels like she knew her too. That keeps her memory fresh with us and though we miss her terribly, we still have her near because we are never not thankful for having belonged to her and having been loved by her.
You did go through a lot in 2013, but having gone through it, you do come out all the stronger and more beautiful for what you've experienced.
And I'm glad for you that ttwd came into your lives just at the right time - I firmly believe that too.
hugs,
Cali
This post had me all teary eyed, but it a good way... even through all of the battles and saddness of the past year you and ryan were able to pull together and support eachother in any way you could to try to appreciate the good. Many people fall apart in hard times, but the love that you had for eachother and your family helped you weather the storm :)
ReplyDeleteSending good thoguhts your way for a happier less stressful 2014 :)
~ Tasha
I'm praying right along with you, Lucy. I'm touched by your focus on love, strength, and connection when it would be all too easy to focus on loss. Loss is a part of our everyday life, and it can become overpowering--but you have come out to the other side and found a place to rest, catch your breath, and gather the strength to carry on.
ReplyDeleteMay you be lifted up and strengthened for your journey.
Lucy, I'm sorry about being so late to your post. I thought about you and your friend Betsy on Thanksgiving. I was remembering that both of you lost a family member this year. You have been through such a tough year. I hope the New Year brings you peace and comfort! Clara
ReplyDeleteOh, Lucy. What a moving post. I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes. I hope and pray that the coming new year will be a blessed one for you and your family. Many hugs.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful post! I'm wishing you both well this Christmas season.
ReplyDelete