I have felt a churning deep inside me for the past week or so. Things have happened around here....little things....well, things that seemed little on the outside...that have caused me to question the respect and trust I have in Ryan. I have made some stupid mistakes lately....I am human.....it certainly won't be the last time I fall. In looking at what I had done....I began to question the whys.....why would I do something that I knew would upset/hurt/go against my husband. It was bothering me....and honestly it was keeping me up at night.
I set out on a quest to fix whatever in the heck was going on with me.....and I asked Ryan for some time to talk to him one evening. He led me up the stairs....and we sat on the bed.....and I began to pour out my heart to him. I told him that I never imagined ttwd becoming all that it has for us. That when I first brought this to him....that I saw it as a way to solve conflicts....something that would stay between the two of us. And then, slowly....I began to see it spread into other areas of our lives...and I was not prepared for that. I was so naive when we started all of this....I just had no idea that ttwd would take on the life that it has. That it touches everything we do...it is a constant....no turning it off. I said that I felt like the farther we get into this...the more nervous I become....the more I scramble to hold on to what little control I have left. I explained that I felt like I was disrespecting him.....fighting him all along the way.....and I had no idea how to stop.
As is typical in our relationship....he took what I said....and turned it a different way....a way that I never saw coming. I sat there and listened to him talk....as quiet tears found their way down my face......
Lucy, I don't see this as a respect issue. This is about trust. For this to work the way that we both want it to....you have to become vulnerable to me....and trust that I won't hurt you. Think about this....the last...the ONLY person you ever fully loved and trusted was your dad....and he left you. You were still a kid...you guys were not done....and God knows he didn't want to go....but he did. And I think you get scared....and you hold onto control because deep down you are afraid...if you ever put all of your trust into me....I would leave. You have to believe that I am not going anywhere.... I've got you....and when you accept that....the trust will come.
I thought a lot about what Ryan said the rest of the night.....and most of the next day. I realized I had no idea HOW to begin to trust him....I had no idea what to do....or what it should look like. On the way back home from dropping off the boys....I remembered a moment I shared with one of the twins this past summer. We signed the boys up for swim lessons....and on the third session....they began working on trying to float on their backs. I was sitting back....watching him with his teacher in the deeper water. I could see his little eyes full of fear....his body rigid and not moving. I walked to the side of the pool...squatted down...and said, "Baby....it is okay....you can trust him....he is not going to let you fall. I would never give you to someone who would hurt you." And, his little body relaxed a little....and he was able to lay back in his instructors arms....and learn the very basics of floating. Trust....
I have this vision in my head that ttwd is a big pool of water. In the very beginning....I just looked warily at the water.....and then I became a little braver and dipped a toe in.....a little more time....and trust....and I allowed myself to dangle my legs over the side and splash about. Now, I find myself chest deep.....and I can see Ryan in the deep end....holding out his hands...urging me to come to him. I look back....and I see my dad...squatting down on the edge of the pool...just like I did for my son...and he is saying, "Baby, it is okay...you can trust him....he is not going to let you fall. I would never give you to someone who would hurt you."
Today...I have played this over and over in my mind....and I will continue to do so...until I get this right. My dad knew Ryan's character before I saw it. He knew I would marry Ryan before I did....and he would never give his blessing to someone he thought would hurt me.
This year, my dad will be gone 14 years. Ryan and I were both very young when that moment came in 1999. I was forever changed by that time....and by the love that Ryan showed to me in my darkest hour. The day that life support was turned off....Ryan came to me and said that he had some things he needed to say to my dad. Together, we walked down the long hallway....and into dad's room. Ryan stood at the side of my dad's bed and said, "As long as you are alive, it is your job to take care of Lucy. But I want you to know, that when the time comes....and you have to go...I am not going to let anything happen to her. I've got it from here." With that, my dad turned and looked at him....and with as much strength as he could muster....he lifted his hand...to shake Ryan's hand.
All of these years later....Ryan has kept that promise. Through the good times and the bad....he has stood beside me...cared for me....and loved me. If that doesn't deserve my trust....I really don't know what does.
So, I keep visualizing the water....and I will make my way to him....and I will lay back in his arms....and believe.....and trust.....that he will not let me fall.
Dang Lucy - I thought I could safely come visit during my lunch hour and here you have me in tears. Sheesh, what is going around blog land today?
ReplyDeleteYour analogy is beautiful - I do better with analogies - those pictures in your head really help don't they.
You will get there, just keep that lovely picture of floating to that very special man - he definitely deserves your trust!
Blessings,
Cat
Hey Cat :)
DeleteWhatever was going around blog land when you visited yesterday....is continuing on today...I lost it reading yours today <3
I had no idea how to trust....or what I was supposed to do....the whole swim lesson memory just came to me.....thank God it did....because I can now SSE what trust looks like....and it is helping.
He does deserve my trust...and I will get there...
Hugs....and thanks for being here....
~Lucy
I am sitting here bawling like a baby...great big heaping sobs. Lucy, this is exquisite.
ReplyDeleteI think it's no secret how much I love Ward, but, sweetie, sometimes I still get scared. We're human and sometimes we default to old fears. In those times it's okay to simply say - I'm afraid...help me learn to trust you with this. It's so very plain in these words and this story that his love is strong enough...and so is yours.
Great big soggy hugs
,June
Hi June :)
DeleteI am sorry about all of the tears....but I so appreciate your understanding.
You are right....no secrets about your love for Ward ;) I do get scared....and cling to control of the oddest things....somehow thinking that it will give me the security I am seeking. I am so thankful...that he knows me better than I know myself....and was able to talk me to the realization of trust.
So....yes....I will get there...he deserves my trust and love.
Hugs back at ya.... (and a mop!)
~Lucy
Tears again, first Wilma, now you. What an outstanding loving post. My best wishes go out to you as you float to your destiny.
ReplyDeleteHi Sunny.....
DeleteWho knew so much rain was in the forecast?? Today Cat is the cause of my downpour....sheesh!
Thank you for you wishes....and I am practicing getting better at my floating skills....
~Lucy
Wow! Lucy...I just took a break at lunch and I am crying now. I love the way you described the pool, such a beautiful picture. Though we are still babies, I understand that anxiety of "going deeper". Sometimes I feel that with each step I lose a part of me. I know that isn't really the case, but I still hold on tight. Hopefully, you will learn to trust a little bit at a time.
ReplyDeleteHugs
P
Hey P :)
DeleteI know exactly what you mean....the anxiety....and feeling that you are losing part of you. But I am finding....and this is slooow going....that the farther we get into this....the deeper we go....I am finding who I think I was meant to be all along. And, I gotta say....it is kind of nice :)
I am enjoying reading your journey....I can relate to it so much!!
Hugs....
Lucy
Oh Lucy, Sweetie
ReplyDeleteYou are a lovely writer.
Okay well - you are growing in leaps and bounds, Sweetie. I am so happy for you. The problem with growth of course, is that initially their is some pain and angst as we figure it all out. You are doing that beautifully.
(still blubbering here) You and Willie are on different paths but essentially very similar journeys. I was just there and was still a little fragile when I got here, so she is on my mind as well..... You are finding out so much about yourselves.
For some time now, the issue of trust has been rumbling around in my head as probably the single most important component to a good dd relationship - well, any relationship, really, but the acting out of it literally, physically is a very powerful exercise. It is one of the reasons so much emotional stuff comes roaring to the surface in these relationships.
All I can say is hold onto that wonderful man :)
hugs and love,
lillie
Hi Lillie :)
DeleteThank you for the compliment....that means a lot...coming from you.
Growth is so painful....you are so right...but yes, without it...we can't get to the other side.
I talk to Miss Wilma quite a bit....and it does help me quite a bit to talk to someone who get "it".....this is not exactly something you can take to the neighbor across the street!
Trust....oh my....I am learning so much about myself....and I am so glad that I have Ryan around to help guide me in the right direction.
Love and hugs.....
~Lucy
Lucy,
ReplyDeleteI don't cry much...but I am crying now! That is beautiful!
Hugs!
Bea
Awww, Bea! Not you too! I am sorry for the tears....I was a mess trying to get it all out.....and I am so happy that you all are out there to read the drama that is my life! Just knowing that other people get this....makes it so much easier to endure! I love reading about the journey that you and Levi are taking....here is hoping we can all learn a little something from one another along the way!
DeleteHugs....
~Lucy
Huge tears rolling down my face! First what Ryan said gave me chills, then the tears started. You are a very lucky girl:)
ReplyDeleteBetsy
Hey friend :)
DeleteI am sending a mop your way......this can just be a soggy way to live...get used to it! Ryan...yes, he had me crying too....the fact that he could understand me in that way....no way in the world he could have done that before we started all of this. Ttwd....never ceases to amaze me....then frustrate me...then make me cry....and then start all over! Sheesh!
I am so glad you are here...
Hugs....
~Lucy
Oh Lucy, this was such a heartfelt and touching post. Thanks for sharing it with us. Michael's father passed away in 1999 too. I know how hard that was on him then and how much he continues to miss him to this day. I'm sorry for your loss, but I'm so glad you have Ryan there by your side. I hope the imagery that you described helps you, it really is a wonderful picture of love and trust. (((hugs)))
ReplyDeleteHi Grace :)
DeleteThank you for reading....and leaving me a lovely comment :)
I am with Michael....in the still missing him club....I don't think that will ever change. I am so blessed to have found Ryan when I did...or he found me....however that worked out....just glad that it did! I definitely needed some sort of visual for this one....and believe it or not, it IS helping me remember.
Hugs back at you!!!
~Lucy
What a beautiful post! I'm so glad for you and Ryan that you found each other. I'm another reader in tears.
ReplyDeleteHi Meg :)
DeleteWelcome to my little corner of the world here!
I will forever be grateful....that Ryan and I found each other.....I have no idea what I did to deserve him....whatever it was...SO glad I did it :))
I hope you come back soon! Have a great day!
~Lucy
Oh Lucy, what an amazing, touching, truly heartfelt post. Dang it, I'm crying here too.
ReplyDeleteOnly when we fully trust, can we allow ourselves to be that vulnerable. As we go "deeper' it is scary, but as June said, that's ok and it's important to simply say I'm afraid and let him help you through it. The longer we do this, the deeper we go we slowly develop more and more trust.
I love your analogy. It's perfect. Keep floating towards your wonderful, loving Ryan. He won't let you fall :) Dang, now I need more tissues!
Hugs
Roz
Hi Roz :)
DeleteI tell ya....all these tears from you all (and me) and now I am going to have to dry out the lap top ;)
And yes, trust...going deeper....all very scary....and I think I can now go to him...and just admit being scared....we will see.
Thanks for stopping by and crying with all of us :D
Hugs....
~Lucy
Lucy,
ReplyDeleteYou made me cry when I read this. You and Willie really had me going yesterday, but it's okay. These are good tears where we watch our friends out here growing and stretching and we learn from them along the way.
I think it's pretty stunning how Ryan knew what you needed to hear and only said it at the time when you would hear it and embrace it. He loves you so much.
Keep on brave lady! We can see this trust business finding root in you in a whole new way and I can't wait to see where it will take you.
Hi Susie :)
DeleteI have never cried so much....as I have this past (almost) year. I never knew my body contained that amount of liquid. I swear sometimes he just needs to follow me around with a mop ;)
How do our men learn to do that?? Know what we need before we even do? I know darn good and well this would not have been possible a few months ago...how do they do all of this growing so quietly....why we cry...kick....and scream the whole way....okay, maybe it is just me doing the latter two...but I digress.....
This has all definitely been an interesting ride...one I am sure glad he and I have been brave enough to go on. And, I have to say...I am glad you all have chosen to check in on us from time to time...and that we get the privilege of stopping by all your places from time to time! You all are the best!
~Lucy
Tears running down my face. This post is so beautiful, on so many levels. Your thoughts and memories here are a gift to all of us, Lucy. I will read this many times over as I, too, struggle with this issue.
ReplyDeleteYour Dad, and your Ryan, both love and protect you every day. What a wonderful vision you have.
Hi Elisa :)
DeleteThank you so much for your kind words...they mean a lot to me!
I think a lot of us struggle
with trust....it is just such a hard thing to do....tear down the walls....and let someone have you completely.
In the hardest parts of life....since that day in 1999....I have had the sense that dad comes around....he is here....that I believe....and Ryan, well...he is my rock!
I found your blog because another blog I read wrote about your post. I have to say, it was amazing. I could hear the love you have for your husband, it was jumping off the page at every word, and so was his love for you. Thank you so much for sharing. That memory you have of your husband and dad together, what a precious gift to carry with you for the rest of your life, what a promise from your husband, I cannot imagine your vows were any more touching. I cannot wait to see how the things you've been thinking on will help you trust your husband more. I wish you all the best.
ReplyDeleteHi Es May :)
DeleteI am so happy that you found your way here....and that you were kind enough to leave me such a lovely comment....thank you :)
I do love my husband....and he, well he has loved me through so much in our life together. God knows where I would be without him. My wish is that everyone could marry a man like my Ryan!
My dad....I still believe he is around....and I have to think he would be proud of the life we have made together.
I am going to drop by your blog very soon....and I hope you return here!
~Lucy
I am just so moved by this post. Your words are beautiful. I do believe that loving someone fully means allowing yourself that vulnerability to be hurt. What makes it work perfectly is when we place our trust in the person who earns our devotion by never betraying that trust.
ReplyDeleteHi Minelle :)
DeleteI am so glad you liked it...thank you :)
Yes, trust....it is just that...opening yourself up to someone knowing that in doing so....you have left yourself wide open to being hurt....and that is so hard. This will be....for me....a work in progress....so I guess....stay tuned ;)
I wanted to catch up with your posts Lucy and now you have me crying buckets too. What a beautiful anology. Starman's father died in 1999 as well. We all sat with him and said goodbye. He left a big hole in all our lives.
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, trust is an amazing thing. What brought it home to me was seeing Starman's face in the ambulance when he went with me to hospital when I had my heart attack. He was willing me to stay with him every inch of the way, and I knew that I could trust him always. Give your trust to your man and let his love cradle you from hurt. He can do it.
Hugs, Ami
Hi Ami :)
DeleteI am so glad you stopped by. You are so right....trust is an amazing thing....but hard to give. I have really been working hard at it since blogging about it.
I have visited your blog as well....and I love reading about you and your man :)
Hugs....
~Lucy
Beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing. God bless you and yours, Belle L.
ReplyDeleteAww, thanks so much Belle :)
DeleteBlessings to you as well....
~Lucy
Just beautiful..sharing this with my man
ReplyDeleteHi Kelly :)
DeleteI am so glad you liked it...thank you :)
Please stop by anytime!
~Lucy