It's two hearts....one dream....I wouldn't trade it for anything....and I ask the Lord every night....for just another day in paradise.

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Our thoughts....One year later

I remember the moment very well.  A little over a year ago, I was alone in my van driving down the road....and this song came on over the radio:







Halfway through the song I had to pull into a nearby parking lot....and tears started pouring down my face.  It was clear to me....that this song....was Ryan and I.  We were 12 years into our marriage...and we were in trouble.  I loved this man....and he loved me....but sometimes, love is simply not enough.  We had three very small boys....we were both incredibly busy....and we had put our marriage last.  My fear was that one day I would look over at him...and I would have no idea who he was anymore.  That maybe one day....our marriage would be too much work.....and we would cut our losses and walk away.

A month or so later, I decided to give up Facebook for Lent....and in that time I discovered Dd.  Ryan and I sit here a year later....and we don't recognize the couple that I agonized over in that empty parking lot.  Those two people no longer exist.  We have truly become one....I don't know how else to explain it.   Those of you who live this lifestyle know that it comes with a lot of soul searching....talking.....and learning.  There is no handbook for how this should be done....there is no right or wrong.  What there is....is two people....who decide that good enough is no longer acceptable....and set out to build a marriage that will stand a lifetime.  That is what we wanted.  And I think that is what we have now.

The changes that we have made together have not been easy.  My gosh, this has been the hardest thing either one of us have set out to do.  We essentially rebuilt our marriage from the bottom up...because it was that broken.  The funny thing is....we had no idea how bad it was.....until we saw how good it could be.  No part of our life has been untouched.  Ttwd is as much a part of us as breathing.  It is not lost on either one of us that we would have never been blessed with our little Gracie without all of this.  Our marriage was such a mess....intimacy was something I very rarely even thought about.  Now, we jokingly call Grace our little Dd lovechild ;)

So, to celebrate our one year....I asked Ryan to be a part of this blog....and he graciously agreed to answer some questions.  So without further ado.....heeeeeere's Ryan:

1.  What did you think when I first brought Dd to you?

I thought my wife was crazy.  As you all probably know by now she sometimes has a hard time explaining what she is trying to do or is thinking about. (Who me??)  I remember her telling me that there was something she wanted to tell me, but couldn't.  Then eventually she told me.... and I was still very confused because I had know idea what  this was all about. 

Okay yes, this is very true.  I was embarrassed.....but I am proud to say....here I sit a year later....and I can say the words spank and submissive without blushing furiously or calling them the "S" words....I call that progress ;)

2.  What has been the hardest part of doing ttwd?

I think I struggle with the punishment side of ttwd the most.  I think deep down none of us want to spank our wives for punishment.  We might like to spank  for other reasons, but that is a different subject all together.(THIS is not that kinda blog...well maybe it is....grrrr! Moving on....)  So I struggle with should I spank her for this.... or should I give her another warning.  I know that if I don’t follow through with my warnings, all of what I have said will be thrown out the window, but I do not want to hurt her.  I struggle with this weekly if not daily. (Daily?? I am NOT that bad!)

3.  What do you wish you would have known when we first started?

I am really glad that I didn't know a lot about what Lucy was telling me. That way I had no predetermined ideas of how this should be done.  It kind of allowed me to experience it for what it is.  I’m really surprised how close it has made us, and I would not trade that for anything. But if I had known how we were going to end up, I might not have paid attention to the ride.  And all of this to me has definitely been about the getting there.

4.  What is the biggest change you have noticed in yourself?

Confidence, Confidence, Confidence.  This ttwd has me believing I can do anything.  I used to be a little nervous to try new things, or be worried what others might think. I had a little self-doubt about whether I could do this or that in general.  Now I believe in myself, I look at the world in a different perspective.... and it has touched all aspects of life, not just at home.

5.  What is the biggest change you have noticed in your wife? :)

Willingness to serve. Its seems no matter what I ask....no matter how big or small... you will do it for me.  Before you would be like do it yourself or moan and groan about doing it.  Your change has led me to try and help you more with some of the chores around the house when I have time.

I do not recall this moaning and groaning that you speak of....wait...what?  I am not allowed to lie anymore??  Shoot!  That's right....I may have groaned ever so slightly...better?  Moving on here...next question....

6.  What advice would you give a husband just starting out?

I know ttwd sounds weird now. Just give it some time and before you know it....it will feel like an old hat.  When you get confused or evolve to a new step in ttwd,  pray for guidance and open your heart to your wife. With some prayer and time it will figure itself out....it does get easier.

7.  Is there anything you wish I would have done differently in the beginning?


No, I am happy where we are. If we had done it differently, we may not be where we are right now.

8.  What is the biggest change you have seen in us?

Our closeness.

Well since he was so wordy with his answer I will chime in.  He is right....before we started ttwd I would describe me as cold and him as indifferent.  I always seemed to be mad about something....and he always seemed to be a million miles away.  We go to sleep now every night with me tucked underneath his arm....and if I fail to scoot my way to him when I first get in bed...he grabs me around the waist and says, "get your cute little a$$ over here"....so endearing...don't ya think? It seems funny to me, because when he used to have to work overnight a few days a week...I actually enjoyed sleeping in an empty bed without him....now...good Lord I cannot sleep without him in the room.  I think that is one of my favorite changes....we need each other in ways we never did before.  We like to be near one another...we touch often throughout the day...my gosh...I crave his affection in ways I never knew possible.  Random times throughout the day I will seek him out for a hug or crawl in his lap and lay my head on his chest. I have never felt as safe as I do since this all began.

9.  Is your wife really the angel that she claims to be?

 She is pretty good.  I don’t know if I would call her an angel all the time, but she is definitely a saint.  She does a lot for me and the rest of our family we are truly blessed to have her in our lives.

I am far from saint...my Lord after the week I have had...Sheesh!

10. Are you really as bossy as your wife says that you are?

I am not sure how to answer this.  I have not taken the time to read everything she has written about me.  I’m sure I can come across as bossy sometimes, but isn’t that part of ttwd?(Apparently it is...because you sure do have that part down to a science!)  I feel that I am adjusting to my role of HoH very comfortably, and if that is considered bossy.... then I am guilty as charged. Grrrr!


So, there you have it.  After a year...Ryan finally gets his say.  He said he enjoyed answering the questions....and I feel like a learned some new things about him along the way.  Maybe I will get brave again and send him some more to answer...this was kinda fun ;)  Before we go...we would both like to thank those of you who have helped us out along the way. We have learned a lot from the people in this community. 










26 comments:

  1. Yay Lucy and Ryan! Congratulations on your Ddversary. It's so great to hear how far you've both come.

    Hugs

    P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey P :)

      Thanks so much! It is amazing how fast one year went by...

      Hugs...

      ~Lucy

      Delete
  2. This is such a great post. I'm so happy for both of you and it's really cool to hear his perspective. It makes me wonder what Bucko would say about all this. :D Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there :)

      I am glad that Ryan agreed to answer all my crazy questions....and I think I may have learned a thing or two ;)
      It is fun to get into their brains and see what is going on...

      Delete
  3. Hi Ryan...So happy to hear from you...looking forward to hearing more from the HoH of this blog. ;) It is wonderful that your marriage has improved so much, your boys have a lovely example of marriage and you have been blessed with sweet little Gracie!

    Congratulations to both of you on your DDversary!

    Blessings,
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Cat :)

      Lucy here....he had a lot of fun answering my questions....I found him typing away at midnight a week or so ago answering these! We talk all the time about how much ttwd has changed us...and we both agree, we never want to go back!

      Thanks for reading!!

      ~Lucy

      Delete
  4. Congratulations Ryan and Lucy on your DD'versary! Wonderful to hear from you Ryan, I hope we hear more from you :)

    This post has me grinning from ear to ear. I"m so happy for you both that you have experienced such positives from ttwd and how it has enhanced your marriage. Wow, little Gracie, you Dd baby. Could there be any better prize than that!

    Rick and I wish you the very best on your continued journey.

    Love and Hugs,
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roz~

      I have a feeling Ryan will be back! He kind of enjoyed this ;)

      Ttwd...has definitely changed us forever...and yes, our little Dd baby to boot...we feel pretty lucky!

      We wish you and Rick the best as well....

      Hugs....

      ~Lucy

      Delete
  5. Wow this is such a sweet post :)

    Happy ddversery to you both, sounds like you two are the perfect example of ttwd gone right :)

    Much love your way x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Missy :)

      Glad that you liked the post :)

      There has been a lot to go right....but man, we have had our share of "off roading" as well. It has not been all sunshine and roses....but we would do it all again...no questions asked!

      Love back at ya!!!!

      ~Lucy

      Delete
  6. Wow, this is wonderful Lucy and Ryan. Another saved marriage. Another testament to what the framework of DD and a whole lot of work can do! We were way past a bad marriage when we began, and had even been to divorce court. I just can't imagine, although I can because I see broken marriages and lost children around me every day, where we would have been. We rebuilt from the ground up too, and we and our whole family have benefitted. We have set an example of hard work and commitment that effects the next generation, and hopefully the ones to come. Yeah, I think it’s that big! Our children are older and they watch.

    Congratulations to the both of you!
    Sara



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sara :)

      I don't think we were in imminent danger of divorce....but the years have a way of flying by...and my fear was that we would be there eventually. Before we started ttwd....I would lay awake at night and fear the days when our children would be grown. Now, I know that he and I will be okay...and we will be able to live our lives outside of just being parents. We like each other again!

      I agree with what you are saying...it is that important...showing your children what marriage can be....yes a lot of work....but totally worth it!

      Delete
  7. What a great post! Ryan's answers are very insightful....especially calling you a saint....satin is an angel you know;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Betsy :)

      Ryan had way more fun with this than I thought he would! And...seriously...YOU know I am no saint or angel....or anything close to being that holy! hahahahah!

      Delete
  8. Aww, you two made me a little weepy here. I'm thrilled for you and the little family you are raising in such a love filled home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susie :)

      You are so sweet! :) Ryan had a lot of fun answering these....and it was neat taking a little stroll down memory lane with him. A lot of things went wrong this first year...but I have to believe we got a lot right too!

      Delete
  9. This is an awesome post Lucy and Ryan! That is a great song too:) I loved hearing Ryan's thoughts on your progress and congrats on your year:)
    Bea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bea :)

      I am so glad that you liked it! It was fun asking Ryan all of the questions...he really got into it....which kind of surprised me. I love that song too....especially now that we are better....a year ago, things seemed so hopeless.

      ~Lucy

      Delete
  10. I'm hoping I have thoughts like this in a years time! What a wonderful look back for you two. Since you refer to a country song I wonder if you've heard "If I didn't have you" by Thompson Square. I heard it and thought hey that kind of speaks to how you feel after you experience the closeness of dd. Not there all the time yet, but I'm hoping we're a work in progress. C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi C :)

      I have to admit I never expected us to have the results that we did....I don't think anyone is as surprised as me. It has been a lot of hard work....and like I said to Susie....we got a lot wrong, but I do believe we got more right :) Have faith in your journey...you will get there :) :)

      And yes, love the song by Thompson Square....well I have to admit I love most country songs!

      ~Lucy

      Delete
  11. What a difference a year makes. Congratulations on making your marriage what you knew it could be!
    Loved this beautiful testament to true love,
    hugs
    lillie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lillie :)

      I simply cannot believe it has been a year....and I lived through all of this mess to tell the story! ha! Oh my, more twists and turn than I could have ever imagined....I have cried more happy/sad tears than I have my entire life....but it was all worth it. Finding ttwd has been a gift...for Ryan and I...and for our children.

      Hugs...

      ~Lucy

      Delete
  12. I am so behind, sorry. I haven't even gotten to my own blog. :( But I loved your post, and it's always great to hear from the husbands! :) They give us a whole new perspective to look at. :) That he's so happy with how things are now, and that he really considers the journey a huge part, it's very reassuring to those of us who are still learning. Well I guess we're always learning, but you know what I mean. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there :)

      Please don't apologize to me on being behind....I think I wrote the book on that one! I simply cannot keep up :)

      I am so happy you liked the post....I learned a lot just listening to how he was answering the questions.

      It has definitely been about the journey, especially for Ryan. I have lost faith more than once....and he has been there....to help push us along...and I am so glad that he did! You are so right....we are all still learning....and I hope that we always do....I never want my marriage to stop growing, I have been in that place....and it is not a good place to be!

      Delete
  13. Hi Lucy - I just wanted to say hi and I loved your post & the music video. I'd never heard that song before - but wow, it's powerful. I identify with all that you shared about you and your husband - especially the post baby body issues, lol! It's so easy when you are busy with children to grow even further apart - to be so focused on being good parents, that you forget to be good lovers, both emotionally & physically. Add to that the frustration & the fatigue that can come with child-rearing, and you get the perfect storm. Then that moment comes where something triggers the tears and the desperation for something more, something better.

    I'm really encouraged to learn more and to read what other couples are learning and experiencing with ttwd. Thank you so much for sharing :)

    And oh! That newborn smell! The best smell ever! My youngest is 16 - I miss it - but if I close my eyes, I can remember that smell. Enjoy it as long as you can! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there :)

      I am so glad you came to visit at me at my place! Lol!

      Oh boy...the post baby body issues....they are getting better thank the Lord! I would have never made it through that mess without all the other women in blogland supporting me. I seriously felt like I was going to lose my mind.

      And yes, tears and desperation pretty much sum up how I was feeling. I never doubted my love for Ryan...but man, life and parenting can bog a couple down....and if you are not careful...tear you apart. This past year we have been thrown a lot of hurdles....and I cannot tell you how thankful I am that we are living this way of life. I am scared to think what would have happened to us without it.

      I think you will find that there are so many wonderful couples in blogland....I have learned so much just by reading what others write....and then I promptly email them to Ryan and say, "See? This is what I am trying to say....or this is what I need...." It has really helped both of us :)

      The newborn smell is absolutely the best thing EVER! Gracie's left somewhere after the 4 week mark....so, so sad :( I swear if we could bottle and sell that stuff...we would be millionaires!

      Delete