It's two hearts....one dream....I wouldn't trade it for anything....and I ask the Lord every night....for just another day in paradise.

Sunday, May 19, 2013

A Matter of Perspective

I had so many thoughtful comments on my last blog, that I felt I really could not answer them all properly.  I hope you all don't mind...if I take the easy way out....and update everyone together :)

As I write this, we have had another mini setback with Ryan's mom.  She is in the hospital...again.  And we really aren't sure what the problem is.  We are waiting for her to be transported to a better....bigger hospital....so I sit here....and I write.  I keep saying over and over to myself, "I will not take over... I will not shut down.... We will get through this.... This is just our life right now."

After I wrote the last blog, I really took some time to review the past few months of our life.  I kept saying, "We have had so many setbacks."  And then I came to realize....NO!....we haven't had setbackS....we have had one issue....that keeps getting compounded.  I know that probably sounds silly....but just framing it that way....has helped me tremendously.  It is not as if we have a million things going wrong in our life...causing us all of this grief.  Once I looked at it in that way.....I could breathe a little easier. Before I felt like so much was wrong that we would never in life get it all put back together.  Now I can see, we can only control so much....and the rest?  Well, it simply is the hand we have been dealt.

There are only so many variables I myself can control.  Mainly I can control how I react in any given situation....and I have control over what I put out into the universe so to speak.  This is without a doubt, one of the hardest walks we have walked as a couple.  But, we know that we can't just roll over and die.  Life is always going to be full of adversity....and this is just one of those times. I think it was Lillie who left the comment talking about how certain things in your life just have to be. No matter how hard we rail against it.....we know the end result.....and what we are focusing on now, is how to best support each other through this journey.

Immediately following me pushing publish on that last post....I was blessed to have so many of you email me or find me on chat.  Thank you seems really inadequate, but for now that is the best I have got.  Just being able to talk this out...cleared up so much in my mind.  Susie (and I hope you don't mind me putting this out here) asked me point blank if I had just gotten mad at God yet....and that He could handle my anger......and that I needed to redirect that away from Ryan.  That was a huge moment for me....and something I desperately needed to hear.  My anger was crippling us.  I still am not sure what it was all about.....but I was probably as honest with Ryan as I had ever been....because truthfully, we didn't have time for me to hem-haw around.....we both needed to be on the same page as soon as possible.  We talked....and cried...and yelled.....and in the end we came together.

So, here we are.....and I am so terrified to say we are better.....but it does feel so much better than it has in months.  I am walking a very fine line between being strong when he breaks....following my leader....and being soft when that is what he needs.  Is it a balancing act?  Absolutely, and I am not exactly all that graceful....and I do expect as some point I will fall.  The great part about that is.....I have acknowledged that to myself....and to him.....and he has ways to reel me back in if need be.  I told him....that there are parts of ttwd that I will never understand.  But I asked him to please not treat me like a stick of dynamite.  I know at times I will want to explode.....heck at times I may actually do it.  I have come to see....that in those times especially.....I need him to walk towards me....not away.  Bless his heart.....all of this time later.....he still has guilt about marching me to the closet to hash this stuff out.  I don't understand why it works...but it does. And as bravely as I could, I told him to please not be disappointed in me if that need becomes a little greater.  I think as things continue to decline.....I will need to feel him in that way...and like I said, we have no time for me to keep these things to myself.  This is just one of those moments....you have to lay it out on the line....and hope and pray that you grow from it.

Tonight I will go to bed.....and Ryan will tuck me under his arm.....and I will feel completely safe and loved.  I have no way of knowing what tomorrow may bring. but what I do know is that whatever may occur....we will get through it....our world will go on....and we will focus on all the good that is happening.  I will remind myself why we started this way of life....and I will concentrate on doing things to lighten his load.  I will remember that he will lead us through whatever may come our way.  I will love my children and thank God for their health and love.  And I will have faith that though ones we love may leave us......we will see them again someday.  I refuse to treat this as a crisis anymore....this is from now on.....simply a matter of perspective.

20 comments:

  1. Perspective does make a difference! I am so glad you are feeling somewhat better. I have been thinking about you and checking back to see if you posted. I hope things will continue to be more manageable for you. ((hugs)) Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sara :)

      It sure does! Thanks for checking in on me.....I appreciate it :)

      Hugs.....

      ~Lucy

      Delete
  2. So glad your perspective has changed and it has helped you move forward to accepting the challenge you are facing. Hugs to all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sunny :)

      I am glad it did too! It certainly makes this all so much easier.

      Hugs back at ya!!!

      ~Lucy

      Delete
  3. "We talked....and cried...and yelled.....and in the end we came together."

    I'm so glad for you two - whatever lies ahead, together you will be able to get through it . <3

    Keep us posted as you can, so we can be sure to support you too! :)

    ((hugs))
    Cali

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cali....what would I do without you all?!

      Hugs....

      ~Lucy

      Delete
  4. Lucy,
    So wonderful to hear that things *feel* better. That feeling makes a world of difference.

    Big hugs,
    Elisa Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure does Elisa...it does feel better :)

      Hugs....

      ~Lucy

      Delete
  5. (((Hugs))) Lucy,

    I am so glad to hear you have a new perspective and that things feel a little better. You are Ryan will get through this challenging time together. I'm so glad to hear you talked things out and in the end came together.

    Love, hugs, and prayers to you all.

    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Roz :)

      Thanks for having faith in us. We sure needed it.

      We appreciate the prayers more than you will ever know.

      Hugs....

      ~Lucy

      Delete
  6. Ahhh, Lucy - it is good to hear you doing so much better.
    Thinking of you with loving thoughts and prayers.
    hugs and love
    lillie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lille~

      Yes, things are much better.

      Thanks for all the prayers....we sure need them :)

      Hugs and love....

      ~Lucy

      Delete
  7. Sometimes there's not a way to actually make things better. Unfortunately, life sometimes brings things that are unpleasant and can't be avoided. The fact that things feel better though, is wonderful. And it sounds like there's been good communication between the two of you as well. Try to keep those lines open. (((hugs))) & prayers (btw, your blog is just too cute and puts a smile on my face whenever I visit)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Grace :)

      You are so right....sometimes there is not a quick fix....and that is hard to take.

      I am so glad that my blog makes you smile....that means a lot to me :) I kinda like my little owl :)

      ~Lucy

      Delete
  8. Well there was never any doubt in my mind that you two would keep working to find out a way to fall back into each others arms. No it isn't easy and things seem like such a battle often, more often for you it can appear, but your love for each other is drives ttwd, not the other way around. You'll muddle through again and again, I know it!

    love ya!
    willie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wilma my friend....we keep trudging along :)

      Love ya back....

      ~Lucy

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the update Lucy (and yes, the comment in your post was just fine)--we've been thinking about and praying for all of you. You may not feel like you handle all the stress like a pro but I hope you see how you are growing in graciousness as you walk that tight rope. Boy, just the fact that you can tuck in under Ryan's wing at the end of the day says a lot. You are in this together and can fulfill each other's needs in all the right ways. It's so hard to get our head around our needs in the good times, so the fact that you are doing it during this time is pretty amazing.

    Oh...and good for both of you for telling God how you are really feeling and doing. There is something freeing in that, at least in my own experience.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susie....

      I am so glad you didn't mind. I really should have asked you first....I am sorry....this post just kinda poured out pretty fast!

      I hope you are right about the growth....I get so frustrated with myself so often. God and I had a long talk. I think He likes me again....hahaha! But you were so right....and I so needed to hear that. I thank you...for being there to ask me the right questions....

      Hugs....

      ~Lucy

      Delete
  10. i'm so glad you put it into perspective, and i love how you said it was one issue rather than everything going wrong. i've been feeling that way too, like my life is just one big mess, when really it's just ONE THING that is making everything crazy. thank you for this post, it was wonderful. hugs to you guys! if you can come together in the evening, that to me says you're both trying desperately to be on the same page...

    m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maryanne :)

      Yes, sometimes things seem so out of control...you feel like a million things are going haywire....when really it isn't that way at all. I had to hit pretty close to rock bottom to figure that out.

      I hope things are going better for you....I really do :) We really are trying so hard to get this right.

      Thanks for coming by....

      Hugs....

      ~Lucy

      Delete