So, when I last left you all....I was saying that in the midst of all the chaos that is our life......I was feeling the need to be protected. Ugh...to even admit that to myself was monumental....but to type it out here....dear Lord!
It is really no huge secret that our life has been a bit turbulent. A new baby, sickness, work, school and kids were all conspiring against Ryan and I it seemed. We would no more get ttwd back on the track, and a brick wall would spring up out of nowhere.....and send us reeling. It had been a hard few months....and my emotions were all over the map.
In the midst of all of our crises, I was beginning to feel like my husband did not care at all about my well being....I know, I know.....hormones.....what can I say?? Anyway....I had the feeling that I could say, "Hey babe, I am going to go hang gliding off of a mountain....I'll see you at dinner." And he would have just waved as I went out the door. A fellow bloggy friend admitted she had the same feelings about her husband....and another bloggy friend was able to talk me off the proverbial ledge....and sent me to talk this out with my poor unsuspecting husband ;)
As usual....I blubbered to Ryan that I had no idea why I felt the need to be protected....but I felt it all the same. I said I hated the way ttwd makes me feel sometimes...because I am trying to reconcile the old Lucy with this new girl over here -------->who wants to be protected. Ugh! The thing is, I no longer want to be that woman....and I am coming to see that that is okay. I know that if God forbid....anything happen to my husband.....I could pick myself up....and take care of my kids....and that, eventually I would be okay. But here is the thing......I DON"T WANT TO! I don't want to be tough girl and take on the world. I don't want to go this alone.....and I don't want to be that wife anymore. And really, it is perfectly fine....it is more than fine....it is what we both want.
But the thing is....I needed to know that he had these protective feelings toward me....because I was certainly not feeling them. That revelation was making me hurt and angry and just totally irrational. I wanted him to feel that way around me, but I didn't want to have to tell him to feel that way....makes perfect sense....right? So in the midst of our talk he reminded me that he USED to act on those protective feelings.....and I kind of shut him down. In our old life I made him feel like he had no right to tell me not to do something because it was dangerous.....or that I should have to call him if I was running late. I have joked fairly recently that if he needs to get a hold of me....DO NOT try my cell phone (most likely it is dead anyway)....two tin cans and a string would be more effective. So yes, all of this made me feel like he did not really care about me....that he was using ttwd to help our relationship....but in the end he would never care about what happened to me. Note to any wife reading this.....DO NOT repeat that last line to your deeply caring husband....something about telling him he does not care...may get him a little fired up ;)
A few days after our little talk....I was heading out to the gym. I told Ryan I would be back after my class.....and well, I truly meant that at the time. After the class, I walked out to the parking lot (at night) with a friend...and we talked.....and talked.....annnnnnd talked. When I finally got done chattering....and got back into the van.....I noticed that class was over an hour ago. Yes, for a moment....I wanted to die. I had that sick feeling in my stomach that happens when you think you might possibly be in trouble. But then, I remembered....this is Ryan....he has never gotten mad over something like this.....you are fine. So I drove on home...happily singing along to the radio.....not a care in the world.
When I walked in the house...Ryan looked up from the recliner....and simply said, "Well you are alive." And continued watching whatever was on TV. That was enough to hurt my feelings. If this makes no sense to you.....believe me you are not alone. I went into the other room....quietly pouting to myself.....until he came to find me. When he asked the standard, "Alright, what's wrong?" I made a big spectacle of myself declaring that for all he knew I could have been dead.....and that if he really loved me he would have said more than something about me being alive....and that I had been right all along, he does not care if I live or die. Yes, yes my friends....I really said alllll of that. I mean this really doesn't do the whole dramatic scene justice....I fear I may have missed my calling ;)
To make an already very long story short.....I found myself over my husband's knee approximately 3.7 seconds after I made that last comment. As he was smacking away.....I was fuming! How dare he spank me for speaking the truth?! As he spanked....he talked. He said that he had no idea what to say when I walked in the door so late. He knew that he wanted to immediately spank the bejeesus out of me, and at the same time.....he was conflicted and feeling like he had no right to feel that way. He let me know that he was worried.....but had no idea what to do with the emotions that he had. I was having a very hard time believing anything he was saying to me....and being the smart girl that I am (insert sarcasm here), I as much told him that he was lying to me.....eeeek.....because of the talk we had a few days ago.....double eeek! I was just so angry....I mean I wanted him to feel upset at me.....because that is how he felt.....NOT because it was what I wanted. Oy! I have a feeling I lost half of you there. But honestly, I struggle with this stuff a lot! I have these needs that I want him to fulfill.....but I don't want to have to tell him to do it. So I guess, I need him to become a mind-reader.
At the end of our big long ordeal....I realized something. Sometimes he will have needs....and sometimes I will have needs. We have to be able to communicate them in order for our needs to be met. Sounds simple enough.....but honestly, since we started all of this......nothing has been that cut and dry.....and I have a feeling....they never will be again.
Nice to come across your blog, which is very well written. Sounds as though you two need EXTREME communication class. I don't mean that in a bad way; from what I gathered from this post, it seems as though you two aren't on one accord with this lifestyle. I sure hope it works out in both of your favors!
ReplyDeleteBest of luck!
Pink
Hi Pink :)
DeleteGlad you stopped by. Our communication has definitely taken a hit with all that has been going on in our lives. Hopefully, things settle down soon....and we can even things out a little. We will get there....eventually :)
~Lucy
Aw, Lucy...even when it got a little confusing...I was with you:) The truth is, they aren't mind readers and you are totally right...it's all about communication. I'm glad this worked out in the end and maybe next time you'll both be quicker to express exactly what you're feeling. ((hugs))
ReplyDeleteHey Tess :)
DeleteI am glad you were able to follow that mess! Half the time I have no idea what I am feeling....I feel like my whole life has just been turned upside down and shaken. Ryan and I stumble a lot....but as long as we keep trying.....I know eventually we will get where we need to be :)
Hugs.....
~Lucy
LOL Brice just read this and said Lucy needs to keep her phone charged. See one sentence problem solved...look how easy that was ;)
ReplyDeleteIf only they could read our minds TTWD would be SOOO much easier.
Your new decor is a 'Hoot' bwahahahaha
Men! Seriously! Barney is like that too. You pour your heart out and they come up with the one small think that can be fixed immediately! Sheesh!!!
Delete*thing
DeleteWell Betsy, I will know where to turn... you know....the next time my life is in shambles. Who knew the answer would be THAT obvious? ;) And tell Brice...never fear...my cell phone is almost always charged....please, please hold your applause ;)
DeleteAnd yes Wilma...totally agree...men are so, uh....well you know.... ;) Just kidding Brice :))
great post, lucy! i'm glad it all worked out. it's tough being in a dd relationship sometimes. :) hee hee
ReplyDeletehugs,
m.
Hi M :))
DeleteRyan read this and said, "Hee hee?....all you girls are sooo giddy."
I say we have to laugh about this stuff sometimes, or we would constantly be crying :) But yes, ttwd does get messy at times...we just keep working on it!
Hugs....
~Lucy
I just had a conversation with my sister earlier today about how men and women express and process emotions. Our conclusion is that we are very different and it often causes misunderstandings. Brilliant..right? LOL
ReplyDeleteI say just keep working at it!
Yes! Exactly....brilliant...yep, I totally agree ;)
DeleteWe will keep chugging along....not much else we can do :)
Oh us women are a confusing lot aren't we? I followed and understand everything you were saying. I think that if our Hoh's could read our minds, everything would surely be simplified. But then we'd also get into a lot more trouble!
ReplyDelete((hugs))
We are most certainly confusing. I will never envy Ryan for having the job of trying to figure *me* out....dear Lord.....
DeleteI often say I wish he were a mindreader...but I think you are on to something....if he only knew some of the stuff I think....but keep to myself...shudders..... ;)
Hugs....
~Lucy
Oh Lucy, Lucy, Lucy...
ReplyDeleteYou are doing so much better in the communication aspect than you were. It is difficult when you ( self described here people) are such a HOT MESS...lol. to find the words right away. YOUR method of communication might not be the way someone else would do it, but the important thing here is that you managed to get the words out!
Here's hoping that next time it will not take you as long. Each time it *might* just get a little easier. (in theory...as you know I am frequently a hot mess too!)
Love ya, willie
Good grief! I forgot to mention what you've done with the place! You're a HOOT!<- don't groan at me people, it is *her* favourite saying, second only to Hot Mess, or and Oh Lord!
DeleteOh Wilma, Wilma, Wilma my friend....you my dear are a hoot of a hot mess....and it is not Oh Lord....it is Dear Lord....geez get it right! ;)
DeleteThanks for the help in the renovation of my new place here :) I am kinda in love with my new little owl friend :)
And yes, we continue to work on getting better. My way of doing things is probably not the way a lot of people would go about it....but I have never been one for going the paved route ;)
Love ya back....
~Lucy
Hey Lucy,
ReplyDeleteLove the new decor ... and no, I wont say it. I think Wilma covered it LoL
I totally followed you and get where both of you were coming from. Wouldn't it be so much easier if they could read our minds (and vice versa). Yep, communication is the key ... it does get easier.
Hugs,
Roz
Hi Roz :)
DeleteGlad you like the renovation!
I am glad you could follow my ramblings.....mind reading would be a great super power to have....but until then.....we just have to keep talking it out :)
Hugs....
~Lucy
I followed this perfectly actually...not sure what that says about me. lol You did communicate it all with him, even if it didn't come out how either of you might have liked. And he addressed the situation. And it sounds like he was able to communicate his feelings with you too. Though it may have been a painful lesson (both physically and emotionally), I imagine some real growth will come from it for both of you. ;)
ReplyDeleteOh Grace, if you followed it *that* well....we made need to start worrying about you! ;)
DeleteYes, I am not the greatest of communicators.....but eventually, I do get it out. The way in which I choose to do so....sometimes causes my behind some general discomfort...but we are getting there!
Hi Lucy, :)
ReplyDeleteI also was able to follow you with this. You have both been going through so much lately, that I expect that there will definitely be times that communication will be tough. Even though you might think that the other is right on board with what you are thinking, and even saying out loud, chances are good that the message can still get all muddled up. I am guilty of listening to Rob at times and having my thoughts be miles away from what he is saying. Stress certainly can make that worse.
Looks like Ryan came to your rescue with the spanking, and even though you didn't like it, it got your attention. Grace is right- one can't help but learn from all that comes our way with these kinds of experiences. :)
I love the owl themed wallpaper! Very pretty look! Hugs to you Lucy!
<3 Katie
Hi Katie :))
DeleteGlad you like my cute little owl friend....I mean look at those BIG eyes....she just sits there and looks horrified at what I write! ;)
Stress has just taken up residence at the Ryan and Lucy household. Ugh, I am doing my best to just get through each day....and sometimes I just fall flat on my face. I am glad that he is here to help me sort all of this out. But yes, we are learning as we go here.....
Hugs....
~Lucy
First, I love your little owl!
ReplyDeleteSecond, is it scary that I didn't get a tiny bit confused while I read this start to finish. I totally understand this desire for them to just know things, to not do them b/c we need them to but because it matters to them. It doesn't always work though does it, b/c sometimes they really do care and they just didn't realize it is something they need to show more for our sake. They choose different things to make a big deal out of...like respect and disrespect. Heh.
Hang in there...I think it does stay a bit of a hot mess but that's okay, it would get boring if it was all neat and tidy. There's always lots to laugh about during the messy times.
Well First, thanks for loving my little owl....doesn't she just sit there with those big eyes looking like, "Oh Lord what is Lucy going to do next?" hahhhhhaah!
DeleteAnd second, it may be a slight bit scary that you followed my rambling....but that is why I like you so much....you get my craziness!
And lastly...thanks for walking me off of the ledge on this one. I did not think I would ever be brave enough to take this need to Ryan....but I have to say, I am sooo glad that I did :)) I have a feeling Ryan and I will be laughing for years...it will NEVER be boring here!
Lucy, not one thing in this post is confusing to me. I understand exactly what you're feeling! I was going to send this post to my husband to read but the last time I asked him to read a post he said, "but it's not your words." Then he forgot his at home and needed to use mine to look something up. Your post was still up on the browser. I told him it was one really said a lot about my own feelings. He read it and said, "well she certainly explains that well." It was a great opener for a good conversation. Thank you for your honesty in writing this post.
ReplyDeleteMy head always knows that my husband loves me. But my heart wants him to show it more.I too want to feel that protection. Don't we all? I have found that he acts more protective when I stop running. When I push away and try to go it alone, he has know idea how to respond to me. And it's sooooo hard to find they way to let him know that's when I need his strength and protection the most. This learning curve is hard! C
Hi Clara :)
DeleteI can't tell you how happy I am that you found this helpful. Honestly, it felt like a rambling mess to me....I find it comforting that a lot of you "got it".....maybe I am not as far gone as I thought! ;)
My head always knows a lot of things....my heart just does not always get the memo....you are so right....this learning curve is hard....we just have to keep trying :))
Oh, I know EXACTLY what you mean! I want the Duke to want to be protective, but not just do it because I asked, but because he wants to. I want him to want to move forward in DD, not because I want it, but because he sees how good it is for us. I totally get the wanting him to want it himself, and not just to pacify us. Your poor bottom! And I loved it when you said you missed your calling. LOL I am glad that he showed you though that he was worried. ;) You might want to start charging that cell phone, I see that being a rule for you, VERY SOON. ;)
ReplyDeleteHey there :)
DeleteI am so glad you get the whole mess here! Yes...exactly....I want him to do things.....because he wants to....not because I have planted some seed in his head. Gah! Why is this stuff so complicated?!?
Oh I am wayyy ahead of you on this cell phone charging thing.....it is almost always charged now.....which is HUGE for me. Normally it is dead....now I fear *I* may be a dead duck if I don't keep it charged!