It's two hearts....one dream....I wouldn't trade it for anything....and I ask the Lord every night....for just another day in paradise.

Thursday, November 1, 2012

A mother to a daughter.....

I think I have acknowledged on here before that I am a proud mommy to three little boys.  What I haven't shared is that sometime in February, I will get to be a mommy to a little girl.  This pregnancy was very much a surprise to both Ryan and I.  We felt like our family was complete....apparently God had other ideas.  From the moment I found out I was pregnant we knew we wanted another boy.  We are familiar with boys...Ryan is one of three boys in his family, and I have an older brother.  I didn't even think it was possible to have a girl.....I have lived my life surrounded by tools and Tonka trucks.  The very idea that we might have a girl was enough to make both of us a little ill.

Ryan had his very male reasons for wanting all boys.  Adding a fourth boy would put us well on our way in being able to have our very own basketball team.  Boys to Ryan....are just simpler.  He understands them....their ways of doing things....and lets face it, he loves playing with their toys just as much as they do!

My reasons for not wanting a girl, were a bit more complicated.....and I have only in the last few weeks gotten to the heart of the matter.  So all of the rambling that is about to follow may bore all of you.....but getting it out will be a form of therapy for me....I promise I won't hold it against you, if you move on to more exciting blogs :)

I have written about my dad before...and my relationship with him...what I haven't written about is my mom.  Sigh.....  It is a very complicated matter...but to put it simply my mom was an alcoholic the majority of my childhood.  My parent's marriage was not a good one.  I think that they always loved each other...but my dad's chronic emphysema coupled with her alcoholism made for a tumultuous marriage.  As a child, all I knew was:  my dad loved me and my mom drank all of the time.  I never saw them display affection for one another.....but my dad always  showed me that he loved me.  I resented my mom for not being able to be the mom that I needed/wanted her to be....and I thought my dad could walk on water.

To me, having a daughter was a terrifying prospect.  I was sure that we would have this baby and my husband would react to her and to me in the ways that I had witnessed growing up.  I was equally as sure that I would be forgotten, as it seemed like my mom had been.  I couldn't voice all of this fear for a few weeks, because I had no idea where these feelings were rooted.

In the weeks leading up to the gender reveal ultrasound, I found myself increasingly unnerved.  Something inside of me just knew that this baby was going to change my life.  The night before we went to our appointment I was up until the wee hours of the morning.  I could not shake the feeling that our world was about to be turned upside down.  I am pretty sure the ultrasound tech thought we were nuts.....she announced a healthy girl.....Ryan looked sick and I cried :(

I walked around in a daze for a week....trying to make sense of my emotions.  I was angry at myself for my feelings. My God we are blessed to have 4 healthy children....any number of people would give all they had for half that many.  A friend of mine gave me a book that she had been reading on marriage.  In an attempt to keep my mind off of my "problems" I began to read.  There was a story in there that talked about a marriage that was in crisis.  The wife was angry that her husband was so loving and giving to their two little girls, but did not do the same thing for her.  She felt hurt....and alone.  She knew that her husband was capable of being loving and giving....she saw it before her very own eyes.  Then, it dawned on her....she was so busy living her life, that she failed to see the needs that he had.  Their daughters would drop everything they were doing to run and greet him at the door with a smile and a hug.  The wife would be too busy cooking, too tired to have sex.....cold....distant.  At this point, a light bulb is flashing above my head.....I get it.....my parent's marriage...my dad's relationship with my mom had nothing to do with me.  Their interactions together made perfect sense.  He felt neglected by her, yes, but that had nothing to do with the relationship he and I shared.  

So.....what does all of this mean to me?  It means that I do not have to fear being the mother of a girl.  I finally understand why my dad acted the way that he did towards my mom and so differently towards me.  Their marriage was broken....and it was that way because of them not because they had a daughter.  Do I think that Ryan will love his little girl to the moon and back?  Absolutely, and I would want nothing less.  Do I think that has anything to do with how he will love me?  Not at all.  Because of all of the work we continue to do with our marriage, I know that we are strong.....I know that he loves me.....and I know that each night when we fall asleep we feel each others love surround us.  Having a baby....girl or boy....will only enhance that love.

Right now, I am busy buying lots of pink and frills.  I am dreaming of painting her ten tiny toe nails a perfect little shade of pink.  I can't wait to hold her....and hand my husband his little girl. And I will do so in complete confidence that it will not change our love for one another.  I want to teach her all of the things I wish my mom would have taught me....how to be a good wife.....how to cook....what it means to be a strong woman, but also want it means to truly love someone with all of your heart.  This will be a journey of a lifetime....and we feel so blessed that God has seen fit to give us Gracie.........

23 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lucy, I am so happy you figured this all out. You saw what kind of mother NOT to be, and you have already decided not to be that way with the boys, of course you'll be a fantastic girlie momma!
    As my Mom always says ( 3 daughers, 2 sons) " Boys are easier to raise, but girls are more fun in the long run" Um, come to think of it, she says that to me and my sisters, I have NO idea what she says to my brothers.
    Seeing how this blog stuff is anonymous, I can admitt publically, although you already know, I'm a little jealous. I always wanted four and I wish the 4th would have been a girl.

    Soon you'll have dinosaurs with pink tutus on! and Ryan, well he'll forget that sick feeling he had too.

    My heart is bursting for you two! Think of how tough she's going be be with 3 older brothers to harass her.

    This was meant to be Lucy. With an absentee mother and no sister, this is it honey! Enjoy.

    SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCHES!!


    WILMA
    (made a mistake the first time out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wilma :D

      Well, we talked most of this out last night......but I had to reply back that I had to read the dinosaurs in pink tutus comment twice.....funny stuff :D

      She is going to have to be one tough little girl, that is for sure. I fear the poor thing will never be able to get a date!

      Have a wonderful day friend!

      (((hugs)))

      ~Lucy

      Delete
    2. Hey Lucy- Gracie's thirsty...Go drink your water!

      Delete
    3. Ack! IS this Ryan disguised as Wilma??? Are you two in cahoots now?? ;)

      I have been good today....so that means I will be in the bathroom at all hours of the night like a good mommy :)

      Hope you are having a good day....Ryan....Wilma...who ever you are ;)

      Delete
    4. Nope not Ryan..just watching your back(side) like a good friend should!

      Delete
  3. CrumB...I made the same bloody mistake twice! The saying is

    " Boys are easier to raise, but girls make better company in the long run"

    I guess I was just thinking how fun it would be to paint little jelly bean toes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy for you both. Girls are sweet little things until they turn 12 and then they are horrible creatures until they turn 18, that's usually when there off to college never to return home again. That is when they become your best friend in the world.

    The best part is she will have brothers to watch out for her all along the way when you are not allowed in.

    Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sunny. We are finally excited about the pink explosion that is going to take over our house. I am anxious to see how all of this pans out.....what she will be like, how different she will be than the boys. It will definitely be a learning experience!

      Ryan definitely takes comfort in the fact that she will have big brothers to protect her from all the other guys in the world <~~~~~~~She will have a hard time getting a date I fear ;)

      Have a wonderful day, and thank you so much for leaving a comment :D

      ~Lucy

      Delete
  5. Lucy, you made me tear up reading this. I am so happy for you both. That is wonderful news and I bet your little girl will be spoilt rotten :)

    I am so glad you have figured out these feelings. You are not your mother and you will be a fantastic Mom to your little girl.

    Funny, my brother and his wife have two children with a 10 year gap between then. The first child was a girl and they were shell shocked when they discovered the second would be a boy. As they had only had a girl, and a long gap between babies, they hadn't even though of the prospect of boys and didn't think they knew what to do with one Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roz :)

      Sorry about the tears....although I cried writing it. I am so glad I figured out what my problem was....I feel a ton better.

      You are right, I am not my mom....everyday of my life I make a conscious choice to do everything I can to be the best that I can be for my boys. Funny how something so simple can get so cloudy in one's head....

      Roz, I appreciate you stopping by....and I hope you are having a good day :)

      ~Lucy

      Delete
  6. Lucy that was beautiful! I have two boys and a girl. And since we are in the toddler years with her, I often remind myself that I prayed for a girl...haha. I caught my hubby the other day at "tea time". Yours will do the same:) Having three already, you know that each one is different and there is always an adjustment, but it sounds like she will be welcomed into a loving family. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bea :)

      My youngest is three....little ones are something else, aren't they? I bet your little princess keeps you are your toes :D

      My dad used to play tea with me.....he would always try to stand up from my little table, and the chair would be stuck to his butt.....great memories. I told Ryan he needed to brush up on tea time etiquette ;)

      We can't wait to meet her!

      Thanks for stopping by and congratulating us....it is very much appreciated....have a great day :D

      ~Lucy

      Delete
  7. Baby girls are great! I recommend having them.
    But they do have some years, when they are horrible, just like boys.
    And it gives you a good reason to throw out all the 3 times used baby stuff and buy everything new, in pink!

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bas :D

      I guess all of them have their moments when they are not so lovable....come to think of it, I have a few myself ;)

      I found a little boy who needs clothes, and I loaded him down. I cleared out all of the things our three year old has outgrown....you know to make room for tutus....and sparkly shoes....oh and tiaras ;)

      Thanks so much for stopping by, and congratulating us....we appreciate it so much.

      ~Lucy

      Delete
  8. This made me tear up too...my little princess is about to turn two:) Congratulations on the upcoming addition to your family Lucy! You would have come to the realization that you did all on your own eventually, because as you said, you and Ryan are not your parents and your marriage is not their broken one. It's great that you were able to figure this all out before your little one makes her arrival though. Now you can spend the next few months feeling all of the excitement and joy that you deserve to be feeling right now. Shopping for little girl stuff is beyond fun too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, Tess it is so hard when they start to grow up. I sometimes wish I could freeze time, and keep them little. Then they do something crazy and it snaps me back into reality ;)

      I am glad that I was able to figure this mess out before she got here. I certainly would not have wanted to try and figure this our postpartum and sleep deprived. At least now, as you said, I can relax.....and start buying things like.....SPARKLY SHOES ......eeeeee! My word girls clothes are sooooo cute. I have a feeling I am going to get myself in a little trouble with spending in the near future.

      Thanks for the congratulations and well-wishes....this is going to be so much fun! Have a great day!

      ~Lucy

      Delete
  9. Hi Lucy, I hope you don't mind me being a new commenter on such a personal blog. Our daughter, our youngest child is about to graduate from school in less than two weeks time. Girls are soooooo much fun! They want to be around you (until much later when they suddenly turn into Daddy's girl) And they are much easier to buy for than boys. They are there under feet when you are cleaning, baking, sewing..though this does not last, so make the most of it while it is happening :) I love our son very much, but it is a different love I have for our daughter. As you will probably have for yours too. I wish you all the best with your spending! There have been times in the last month that I have been in trouble for spending, then I realize, 'hang on, I bought that for....' It never seems to end with girls :) Best wishes as you prepare your home for your new arrival :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi M3 :)

      Of course I don't mind you commenting....you are always welcome!

      This girl thing is already proving to be so much fun. Boys clothing options are definitely less. The shoes for girls...oh my word....so cute! I am probably going to have to get on a budget! ;)

      Thank you so much for the well wishes. This girl raising thing is totally new....I may be hitting up some of you veterans for advice :D

      Hope you had a wonderful day....stop by any time!

      Delete
  10. Awww Lucy :)
    I have two daughters and a son. My daughters are 28 and 15. I love my only son with a crazy kind of intensity that is often nearly unhinged. But, my daughters and I have this relationship that connects us on a different level as women (well, one woman and one almost there). I don't want to sound completely flaky but there is a mystical kind of connection to those females that come through your body. Our bodies are strung on a silver thread that goes backward to mothers from generations ago and forward to the babies of tomorrow.
    Congratulations on this amazing new life, Lucy and Ryan
    hugs hugs hugs
    and love
    lillie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lillie :D

      I look forward to that "mystical" connection you speak of....doesn't sound flaky to me....I just haven't experienced it, but I do hope you are right!

      Thank you for the congratulations....we are looking forward to her arrival.

      Love and Hugs right back to you :D

      ~lucy

      Delete
  11. Congratulations!! Love my girls, love my boy! You two should watch Father of the Bride - his b ball team in not in danger! I'm very very happy you resolved so much! It takes courage to look back and face whatever lurks over your shoulder. Good for you! Obviously you and Ryan have a strong connection in order for you to have the strength to work through it. When my husband first changed my daughter's diapers, and I my sons, we both said, "what do I do with all this"! You will enjoy being able to enjoy gender bonding in secret. When the guys insist on watching yet another action movie, with a quick wink of an eye and love and respect in your hearts, you can convey as we sometimes do "ah... Men!" .... This is a great post to write - we too were shocked about a 9 on the richter scale with our unexpected 4th child who is also a girl! "It's all good!" My Best, KayLynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi KayLynn :D

      I tried to reply to this a few days ago, but blogger was giving me issues ;)

      I am so glad that I got all of this figured out too....now I can relax, and buy all of the neighboring department stores out of pink and purple ;)

      So you had an unexpected fourth too?? Maybe we should bottle our water and sell it!!!

      Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment :D

      ~Lucy

      Delete