Things have not been going all that well around here. I told myself when I started this blog....that I would write about it all....the good, the bad...and the downright ugly. My friends, I think we are at the latter. I don't know what to do to make this better, so I will write...and maybe it will make more sense to me when it is out.....here goes....
Ryan and I had a talk a few weeks ago about starting maintenance around here. His schedule gets a little crazy Tuesday-Thursday...and the thought was that maybe doing some sort of scheduled session would help me keep my head straight...remind me that even when he is not here, that I still have things that I need to take care of. Ttwd has always been hard for me. I don't think I have ever tried to hide that fact. It was not easy for me to hand control over to him...to break down my walls...and be open to communication all of the time. I have struggled....I am struggling. I went to him weeks ago and said that I could not keep riding this roller coaster of submission. That I needed some form of his dominance every single day. I told him that he requires me to be a certain way.....a way that is not natural for me....than he is going to have to help me. I can't do this alone.
All being said, he agreed. Things were not going well around here. It was hard for me to be submissive (for lack of a better word) to someone who was not here. And, I know, this sounds whiny and horrible....especially to some of you who deal with far greater separation than I have ever known... but it is the truth. In my head I thought he wanted to do maintenance on Sundays....his head had other ideas....and we never communicated anything different. Sunday is our day that we make our schedule for the week. It entails when he will be working and going to school and both of our responsibilities around the house. We have found that this keeps us both organized, and we both know what needs to be done. Week one of maintenance went very much how I thought it would. We did the schedule, and then maintenance. The week went smooth. Week 2 very much the same as week one, so in my head I am thinking that this is the way it is going to be. Sunday came...we went on a walk....came home....and NOTHING. No schedule, no maintenance......and the tail spin began.
Ryan knows without a doubt the schedules importance. Do I need him to tell me what I need to do? Absolutely not. What I do need is some way of him leading every single day.....and this has always been our way. He knows very well that things fall apart for us without it. Going to bed that night.....I was mad....the quiet simmer. I was furious that he had forgotten....or whatever. We were laying in bed, and he demanded to know what was wrong with me. I was so mad...I could not even talk. We have been through so much with this damn schedule and maintenance....we have talked it to death....how can he be that oblivious??? And yes, I should have just said something...but I was at the point of being so mad, I could not talk. So yes, he spanked the heck out of me....and yes I was so angry it did not matter. We went to bed very unresolved and I woke up very angry. He was off Monday, and we had a very icy morning before he again decided to punish me for my lack of communication. That one worked...and we talked it out.
This is the gist of what was said. He thought in his head that maintenance could be Sunday or Monday. My issue was that yes, he gets to make that decision, but I needed to know what was going on in his head. To me, it looked like he had forgotten....simple miscommunication that blew up big time. He acknowledged that to me the whole thing looked like he forgot or just didn't care....and that left me feeling very unloved. All of that was hard for me to admit....I can't put into words how hard. I hate talking about this stuff. When I do, and I feel ignored I get angry fast. He said that we would do our schedule Monday night when he came home. Fine...gotcha...I felt better.
Last night came....we talked, he watched some TV...gets up turns off the lights and gets into bed. He says that he feels like I had been spanked enough in the last two days...that he didn't feel like maintenance was necessary. I was okay with that, because he communicated. The schedule??? You know the one he was going to make for two days....apparently he forgot again...who knows? He asks me about an appointment today, and I got a little lippy and told him that he would know what was going on IF he had done what he said he was going to do. AHHHHHHH! I wanted to just scream. All of the last days events seemed to be for nothing. I had to talk about things I really did not want to...and for what??? I still felt ignored, unloved....and downright angry. He got out of bed, and basically snatched a piece of paper and said he would make the bleeping schedule. <~~~~~That does not work for me. It turned ugly. I told him, if he doesn't want the schedule to let me know. I was confused. Mad. We again went to bed very unresolved....and I feel very unloved.
I have no idea what the problem is. I don't understand what is going on in his head. I have no idea how to fix all of this. I sit here still very angry....and very unwilling to deal with all of this. I feel like I have put myself out there, and he keeps hurting me. I hate talking about this......and being all open and vulnerable...to feel like this in the end. Either he wants this or not.....blech! I just don't know. I said a lot of things that were not nice. A lot of things that I am sure hurt him. I used my words like the old Lucy....as weapons....and the scary thing is, I just didn't care. I was that mad. I don't want to be unfair to him...these are my thoughts. There are two sides to this.....I am sure he has good points...but quite honestly I don't care to hear them.
I wanted to give all of you who were kind enough to read this mess an update. We are working on it...things are not perfect.....but we are determined to get to the other side of this. I made a lot of mistakes. I need to work on how to handle my anger without shutting down....one of my biggest downfalls. Ryan has owned his part of our issues. He confided in me that he has been stressed for the last couple of weeks. He is our sole-breadwinner....we are bringing a new life in the world...our furnace went on the blitz last week....and he got worried and shut down. He feels like a failure at times because he wants us to have everything...and if he can't do that he is very, very hard on himself. To set the record straight, my children do not want for anything....Ryan is just very hard on himself. Ugh....wishing I would have known this....and wishing that I could go back in time to re-do some of this. We both shed a lot of tears today.....we learned a lot....we remembered what life used to be like....and we are renewed in our vow to keep doing ttwd. It will take us some time to figure it all out, but we will. If you read all of this today...thank you :) I appreciate all of the advice that I received....you all are the best :D
Hi Lucy,
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry you are in a bad place right now. I hope that you are able to resolve your miscommunications and can get "into each other's heads". I can't speak to maintenance as we don't practice Dd, but I am trying really hard not to use my words as weapons in my marriage. I know how hard it can be to hold those in. I just try to apologize for them...I have been apologizing A LOT lately:) I hope that writing has helped...I am not good "in the moment" and sometimes write what I am feeling to my husband.
Good Luck
Bea
Hi Bea :)
DeleteI really got caught up in my anger and hurt....and I used my words in the worst way possible. I am hoping that I learned from this. My biggest issue (one of them) is shutting down and getting angry when I am hurt. Sigh....I am still very much a work in progress.
Thank you so much for reading this mess, and leaving a comment for me....it is times like this I NEED to hear what others have to say....
~Lucy
Here, let me make room for you in my same leaky boat- except my boat has no paddles.
ReplyDeletePerhaps Ryan is overwhelmed with school, work, life. That is not to say you are not. Maybe if you approach him with this. " I can understand that you are overwhelmed and tired sometimes, so am I. This ttwd helps keep me feeling less so, and I am more able to concentrate on your needs as well when I am more balanced"...or somehting like that? Well maybe not...what the heck do I know?
I do know that when you are silently fuming it is hard to express yourself and that the pre-ttwd persona comes out to 'play' and that causes more grief than in warrented in any situation. The question is how to stop the snowball midway down the hill?
I just want to let you know I completely understand your feelings. And I'm only a pop up chat away if you need to vent. I promise NOT to add fuel to the fire.
Love you
Willie
Oh Wilma....what a day :(
DeleteWe are going to get to the other side....it is just going to take some time. He was overwhelmed...you were right, you don't give yourself enough credit my friend! Financial issues....more in his head than anything else...but still very real to him.
I am still trying to figure out how to stop myself before I get too far gone. Hopefully, I learned something from this. Although, you may have to remind me of this moment some day.
Thanks for reaching out to me today...so, so appreciated :)
Love ya right back....
~Lucy
Update comment now- You had a horrible day, and yes you admitted that you were not Lovely Lucy, but continuing to beat yourself up over this is still giving those negative emotions you had power. TRY ( I know easier said then done) to forgive yourself so you can truly move away from this. Learn from it, but keep it in the past.
DeleteLucy,
ReplyDeleteI really don't know, what to say.
I have no real advice.
I do hope that writing it out here, reading it back to yourself, will help you and Ryan, to work out the problems.
You saw the old Lucy coming back, and you and Ryan both did not like that. That must be helpful.
Bas....sometimes just commenting is enough for me. Thank you for taking the time to read through this mess. What a day. We learned today, that we simply cannot go back. Ttwd may change in how it looks around here, but it still has to be a component in our marriage. I guess time will tell.
DeleteThanks for stopping by my friend....
~Lucy
Lucy, I think many of us have been there at some point. I know I certainly have. We went through this a couple times before I finally made Steve see that when he forgets or blows off maintenance or a promised punishment, it leaves me feeling like he doesn't care about it or about me.
ReplyDeleteAcknowledge how stressed and busy you know he is, then calmly tell him how you're feeling being careful not to assign blame. Even if you do feel this is his fault, telling him so will put him on the defensive and he'll be less likely to listen to you. He needs to be open to really hear you.
Try writing things out in a letter or email for him. When I'm too close to the boiling point, I try not to talk because I don't want to let my temper get away from me and have me saying things I don't really mean. By writing it out, it gives me a chance to work out my feelings and choose my words more carefully so they come across calmly instead of as an attack.
Hugs,
Dana
Hi Dana :)
DeleteI wish I would have done better than I did. I will remember all of the advice that I got today....for when I need it next time. I am not good at holding my temper. Things just fell apart, and where before I would have held it in....I let it all go with a fury. Ryan and I both made a lot of mistakes today. We will fix this, and I will try very hard no to repeat what I have done today.
We always say that the only constant in ttwd is change. It is a blessing/curse. It forces communication which is good...but man when it breaks down...it is so, so hard.
I can't tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time to give me some very good advice. I needed to hear it today.
(((((hugs)))))
~Lucy
Hi Lucy,
ReplyDeleteSorry sweetie, I know how difficult these times are - I have been there too.
We should remember than HoHs are HHoHs - Human head of households. They make mistakes, and it sounds like our Ryan may have dropped the HoH ball.
I know how that feels. Ian has done it many times, and I have reacted in much the same way. However, what I am coming to realize, slowly, is that those confrontations between us don't facilitate the goals we are working toward, which is harmony is our relationship.
Although it makes me feel like I am lancing a boil with a spoon, I have tried to see these times as opportunities to show him I am his submissive wife. Meaning, coming to him (respectfully) and asking him to explain why things happened or didn't happen the way they did.
It empowers your hubby because the onus is on him to lead you out of the confusion and hurt you are in - and in my experience, makes him more cognizant of avoiding future such times.
This is what has worked for me....and I know it is a bitter pill to swallow, but I thought I would put it out there.
hugs and love
and understanding
lillie
Hi Lillie :)
DeleteI will remember HHoHs....very wise my friend. Sometimes I forget that ttwd is as hard for him at times as it is for me. I failed to go to him with any kind of respect....I went to him with venom spewing everywhere. I was hurt and vulnerable....and that is the old Lucy striking out to hurt him since that is how I felt. Next time....I will try to remember your words...because I think that would have served he and I better. I just got so angry....I did not know how to process all of it.
Thanks for taking the time to comment....and giving me some really good advice. I needed to hear this today...truly.
Love and hugs
~Lucy
Lucy, my dear, as someone who has spewed more than her share of venom at her husband, yes - before and after starting dd, I understand completely.
DeleteDon't be hard on yourself. This stuff isn't easy, and you don't read minds anymore than he does, but you guys love each other endlessly and you are working it out, that is all any of us can do.
I will try and remember your graciousness and humility the next time I spew venom at Ian. :) Probably tomorrow, since I can't sleep tonight.... :(
love and hugs
lillie
I was just a mess. We have had our bumps in the road....but this time we went OFF roading ;) You are right...we do love each other, it is just in those moments of hurt and anger it can be hard to find. Sigh...so ttwd is not a magic cure....darn! No really, we will find our way back....and I am sure I will write about it.
DeleteThis one was a doozy, Lillie....thanks for coming along for the ride. I hope you do okay today....I was a little restless myself.
Much love....
Lucy
Sorry you're in a tizzy. I am not in a DD relationship but it doesn't matter. When they don't communicate with you no matter the dynamic it hurts. Perhaps once you get over your 'anger' make out your schedule and then give it to him on Sunday or Monday and ask for his approval(if that's what you do) and ask him to add anything about his or any additional item he may want to add for you. Maybe he just needs a reminder. The days fly by so quickly and especially if you're busy he might just lose track.
ReplyDeleteDon't give up - just give in (a little). Good Luck
Hi Sunny....
DeleteWe talked this thing to death today. What we discovered is that he gets stressed and shuts down. I need to be better at encouraging him....better at being his soft place to fall. Yes, he still wants to take care of me and lead us....but that does not mean that he should shoulder everything alone. I guess these breakdowns force us to really look at ourselves and grow...painful...yes, but necessary in any relationship!
I need to be better at the giving in part...not my strength...especially when I am hurt.
Thank you for stopping by and commenting. All of the support I have received via comment and email have meant so much. It truly helped....thanks :D
~Lucy
Hi Lucy,
ReplyDeleteI too am sorry that you are 'in that place'. I don't know what to say, other than the fact that you are not alone. (I think Wilma's leaky boat might be getting a bit full :)
I can only give you understanding and a virtual hug. I think there is some good advice in the above comments :)
Hope all this settles for you soon Lucy.
Ahhh M3 thank you so much.
DeleteSuch a crappy day, honestly. But, Ryan and I learned a lot. We will get better....in time.
This community is just simply the best...and that includes you. Thanks for leaving me a comment....helps me not feel so alone!
~Lucy
Hi Lucy,
ReplyDeleteWe've been there too and I can hear and feel your raw frustration. Others have already said it but I'll repeat the words. When our very imperfect men drop the ball, they need us to tell them. When we tell them, it is so hard to not lose it and yet, when we do, we press their "respect" button. Once they feel disrespected, they no longer hear us, all they hear is the disrespect and we've gotten nowhere. In fact, like what happened to you, my bad behavior then creates the need for an ugly consequence which only fuels my fire.
So...I'm sure you are already much calmer. Writing seems to help with that. Talk with him gently. Ask him to hold your hand or physically connect in some way. Cry if you feel like it and tell him how much it hurts when he doesn't follow through. Tell him how confusing it is. Stay respectful and he will hear you. If he's like most of the HoH's out here he will also want to rise to the occasion and be your man. Be open to a suggestion for how to do this a bit better so that both of you are on the same page. Then the next time it all goes down and he does get it right, don't miss the opportunity to tell him very seriously how much it meant to you.
Honestly Lucy, every single one of us faced this and we all still do from time to time. They need time to build their confidence and realize that we really care and we are depending on them in a brand new way. It's all new for them too but you guys are going to be alright. Keep talking okay?
Hi Susie :)
DeleteWe are getting there...still not "back" but on our way. We won't give up...there is no going back...so chin up, onward and upward kind of thing ;)
I was so angry...hurt...raw. I did us no favors with my disrespect...I can see that now....not so much in the moment. I felt betrayed...i guess? Like I bared my soul to him and he trampled on it. Although, now I know what his issue was (in the update). I took your advice this evening and asked him if he would walk me out to the van before I went to my exercise class. I told him I knew that he was trying and I apologized...and then....I let him hug me....which if you knew me is huge. I am not touchy feely when I am feeling this way. BUT I have such respect for you that I decided to take a leap of faith. I tried to be softer, and in turn he stood a little taller.
You have no idea how much I needed to hear all of this today. Thank you for taking the time to give me some well needed advice. I appreciate it so much :D
((((hugs))))
~Lucy
Glad to read your update at the end that things are moving in the right direction for you and you are talking. I am sorry for the tears. Just wanted you to know I read and giving you a hug. Nothing is easy, but I hope for the best for your situation.
ReplyDeleteHi SNP....
DeleteWell, thanks for reading through the whole mess. What a day. The good news is that we are renewed in our determination to make ttwd work. It may take us a few days to get back, but we will. The tears were hard....but needed. You are so right, nothing is easy....but nothing worthwhile ever is I suppose.
I am hugging you right back :D Thank you so much for letting me know you were here....I really needed the support today.
~Lucy
Oh Lucy, I am sorry you went through this, ttwd can certainly be a rollercoaster ride at times and it is hard when stress and 'life' get in the way.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad to see the update and that you have talked and are working together and renewed in your determination to make ttwd work. Just know that you are not alone in these struggles.
(((Hugs)))
Hi Roz~
DeleteIt times like this, it is good to know that I am not alone. When you are in the middle of it...it can be very lonely and confusing. I am so glad I have all of you in blogland to help me figure this mess out!
We will get there, Ryan and I, it is just going to take time. We certainly got a little off course.
Thanks for the support....I really needed it today :D
(((hugs))) :D
Lucy
Lucy - Sorry to hear you are in such a place. Like others have said, many have been there too.
ReplyDeleteIt stinks to be in a "limbo" stage and not knowing what is exactly going on in your journey.
I see it as a bump in the road, and you are working towards evening things out. Though.. I have found that some bumps take quite a bit of time to fully resolve.
We have had many bumps here too that sometimes I'm so exhausted mentally, I don't even blog about them.
I'm currently going through one right now.. I just don't have the effort at times to choose the right path and then we both end up in a bad place.
ANYWAYS - I have no real advice other then talk talk talk even if you hate it.
Most of our problems are because we don't talk enough, and if you can't face something, maybe write it out and show him.
I've had to do that several times and I have a blog for it where he can read things on my mind if I just can't talk face to face.
OR, if you've talked it out... then wait.
It's a hrad thing to do, but wait him out and he'll come around.
I once thought I was waiting out my "H", I was just sort of quiet for a few days, I did everything I was supposed to do, I wasn't sassy or anything... He didn't seem to even notice! I just thought to myself "Well, I guess we aren't doing this thing anymore"... Well, I was wrong. I guess He just needed processing time and a time of submission and being good from me because one day, I let my mouth slip a bit, got a bit daring and began to boss and take things over and he put a stop to it that day after what seemed to be days of nothing, or very HOH like behavior.
I was confused a bit, but he stepped up and in right when he needed to.
Guys are weird like that. HA! and they say women are confusing.
I think I'm rambling.. but anyways hang in there!