Well, things around here are getting back to normal. After our major fallout....we stayed apart for the better part of a day. Partially due to his work schedule, and partially due to the fact that we had no idea how to deal with how wrong things had went. I credit so many of you for taking the time to comment on my last post, and email me with suggestions. I needed all of the help I could get. I was so off...so angry....and I had no idea how to get back.
So....what have we learned in all of this? We learned that we both got very complacent....too comfortable....and we took ttwd for granted. Ryan and I talked about how the blessing/curse of ttwd is that you must communicate.....sometimes talk things to death....and talk about things that you really do not want to talk about. We failed to do that. In my last post I put a lot of the blame squarely on his shoulders....and now with a clearer head I can see how unfair that was. This type of relationship does not come with instructions....and I do not come with an owner's manual....and as I pointed out on Wilma's blog....I am glad I do not....I have a feeling my manual would say, "For best results, spank her silly every other day." But I digress....
What I am trying to say is that I need to be better about helping him with what I am feeling and thinking. He is not a mind reader, nor is he a private detective. He simply cannot follow me around all day and take notes and decide how to deal with me based on what he has observed. I need to be better about going to him and saying that I am struggling...that I have done something that is not going to make him happy....that I have not been honest. It dawned on me in the midst of all of this that in doing that.....I am not taking over control....or trying to tell him how to do his "job". What I am doing is respectfully giving him the facts, and then submitting to however he decides to proceed from there. And yes really, it took me 8 months to have that epiphany...I am a little slow ;)
Our immediate remedy for what happened it to get back to what made ttwd work so well for us. The schedule remains, although he has asked that I put more of my ideas into what needs to be done each week. He has also asked for my help in reminding him on Sundays that we need to make the schedule. Once a week we will be scheduling our blog reading....either he or I will pick a blog that speaks to us, and we will share it with the other and discuss it. I can also expect for maintenance to continue on Sunday or Monday at his discretion, and that he may very well throw in more sessions whenever he sees fit (yay me).
So, there you have it....things are getting better around here. We are towards the end of his horrid schedule for the week.....and then maybe we will find our way totally back. We had a (kinda) cute moment the morning after the blow up. He discovered he was out of jeans (oops) and informed me that some had better get done that day or in his words, "sore hiney will be making a comeback." I feigned complete shock and said, "So what, you're still going to be spanking me? I thought we were making changes around here?" I think he turned around so quickly that he about broke his neck. His response, "Lucy, do you honestly think you could behave without being spanked?" "Of course I could (shut up Wilma).....we could give it a try." He just shook his head and kissed me....and gave me a firm swat on the way out the door. I love that man.
Isn't it amazing how communication works. So glad it worked out.
ReplyDeleteHi Sunny :)
DeleteWho would have thunk it? Seems so simple, yet in the heat of the moment....so impossible. I feel like a huge burden is gone, and I am so thankful!
~Lucy
Oh Oh...coloured me flattered!!! Actually, we relate so well not because WE are so similar, but because our husbands are so NUTS! lol...I kid...Um Lucy drink your water, (happy Ryan?).
ReplyDeleteTonight when we were discussing our Cook together night, ( although Barney has tomorrow off) I said something like " Are you sure about that?" He said, jokingly, I hope- " Well you'll be standing up all day that day, so who cares how much cutting you have to do?" Grrrr...I feel we should make sure Monday's our joint maintanence day..so once Gracie arrives, we can have Margarita Mondays!
Ooops, sorry blog readers we talk 'off blog' so I have nothing to add that is helpful here! Only that Barney and Ryan should NEVER meet!
Love ya bunches!
I've got it...the next Olympic sport should be Synchronized Spanking.....bwahahahah! You are nuts! Yes, Margaritas all around....sometime in late February.
DeleteBoy oh boy, I am glad that we both seem a little better. We were quite a pair Weepy Wilma and Leaky Lucy...sheesh! I am buying stock in Puffs products before our next melt down!
Well, here's to a wonderful Cook together night for you and Barney.....and here is also hoping that you have plenty of padded chair around your house ;)
~The Sassy Penguin
So happy for you and Ryan, Lucy. It is hard sometimes, but really worth the effort.
ReplyDeletehugs
lillie
Hi Lillie :)
DeleteYes, it was hard. I am so not good at being respectful....or anything resembling that when in the heat of the moment.
We are better still tonight. He left for his overnight and made sure to cuddle with me and make me feel completely loved and safe before he left. I was so scared that our blow up would mean the end of ttwd.....sounds silly now. I just know that I never, ever want to go back to that way of life.
Lots of Love....
~Lucy
Glad things are better Lucy:) Take care.
ReplyDeleteHi SNP :)
DeleteWe are so glad too :) Being that far apart made us remember how we used to fight in the old days. I for one, am happy that we have a way to deal with these issues.
You take care too friend :D
~Lucy
What? Lucy and Wilma are talking 'off blog'?
ReplyDeleteYou both should be spanked for that. Synchronized!
Lucy, I'm glad you found out he's not a mind reader.
You know the big difference between him and you, is that you are always 'here', and that he sometimes goes away to 'there'.
You need to fill him in on what's happened here, while he was there.
Now, I'm still curious for your honest answer on that question:
"Lucy, do you honestly think you could behave without being spanked?"
Because it actually is a very deep question: Is DD possible without the HoH having some kind of supporting power?
Bas....you are adorable...can I say that? :)
DeleteI know big shock...he is not a mind reader....sheesh, I am slow I guess! You are right, I spend way more time than he does thinking about this stuff. He cannot be held responsible for what I think should happen in my head. I guess women can be confusing creatures sometimes ;)
Do I think DD is possible in some relationships without the HOH having some kind of supporting power? Absolutely....unfortunately our relationship is not one of those. I cannot be the way that we need me to be without it....and I am okay with that....most of the time! ;)
I love your comments Bas!
~Lucy
At the start, I also thought that DD without power, should be possible. Why not? One person promises to abide by the decisions of the other one. What is difficult about that?
DeleteWe tried it, and you know, it did not work.
It was always: Yes, yes, next time I'll do exactly what you decide as I promised, but not this time.....
The expectation gap became even bigger than before DD.
And we were both glad when I became empowered again.
Adorable? Who? Me? No, I looked in the mirror, and No, I'm not adorable. You must have me mixed up with that other guy. What was his name? Yeah, you're right. Ryan! That one is adorable!
The only reason I think it is possible is because my best friend (known her since I was 4) is a very naturally submissive woman at heart. She just is...that is just her way. She does not know about my relationship, and I have no way of knowing whether or not she does Dd. Knowing her I doubt it, but if she knew this about us...she would die...seriously...she knows how I can be ;) Anyway, she has always said things like....if her husband says no than she respects his decision...that all of the final decisions get made by him....and she wants his approval on a lot of things. Like I said, I have no real insider knowledge of their relationship....but to me it carries a lot of the trademarks of a husband lead marriage without the discipline.
DeleteI could try to do this without Ryan having discipline power, but I know me, and I know it would not work. I have also found that the more we do this, the more I have a need for the discipline....a lot of it is used around here for stress relief and to keep my eye on the ball so to speak. Of course, I mess up...I am human, and he does follow through with punishment. I have no idea why this works for us. I really don't. Sometimes I find the whole thing weird and confusing to be honest. I try not to analyze it too much. Sigh.....
And yes, you adorable! Sorry about the mini novel reply :D
So happy to read this Lucy. Glad to hear things are getting back on track. From your post it sounds as though you have been doing a lot of thinking about what happened and that you have both come to some realisations. That is growth my friend!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you two were able to communicate and work through it together. You are right, communication is so vital.
Hugs
Roz
Growth can be painful....but it is necessary, as is communication. We just had a total breakdown of what had made ttwd work so well for us. It is not a good thing to get too comfortable with where you are.
DeleteI think Ryan and I are feeling a lot better these days :)
Hugs right back :)
~Lucy
I think Barney and Ryan should most definitely meet! :) Just think of the posts that you two could get out of that
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you are doing better Lucy. Bah, communication ought to be so simple and we ought to be able to regulate our responses, men and women alike. It'd be pretty boring though.
I loved your little exchange with Ryan. He seems to be catching on to the long term effects of "sore hiney." You seem to do a very good job of keeping him on his toes. Kinda fun, isn't it?
Oh my, Barney and Ryan should never meet. I am a firm believer that HoHs should never come in contact with other HoHs.....I am much safer that way ;)
DeleteYou are right about the whole communication thing....it can be so tricky...especially since men and women think totally different.
I do like keeping him on his toes ;) I tell him I am simply doing my part in keeping him young...he is not buying it. But yes, I do enjoy dancing around the lines of what is acceptable versus what is unacceptable. It kind of exasperates my hubby a little....and I do secretly get a giggle out of it...as long as I don't dance too close to the fire ;)
Thanks for stopping by Susie :D
~Lucy